cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover in South Korea and Citibank Chip & Pin Secondary MCs in Europe?

tag
Pucelle
Established Member

Discover in South Korea and Citibank Chip & Pin Secondary MCs in Europe?

I will be traveling a lot this year and wanted to know people's experience with specific credit cards overseas in the countries and places I've listed below.  I only have the cards listed in my signature and my ability to get anymore is hampered by the fact that I will be buying a house this summer (full doc pre-approved already).

South Korea

I have a Discover Card that I’ve been told will work in South Korea as part of the BC Card network.  Has anyone used their Discover Card in South Korea and had any issues?  I know that Asia is mostly a cash society but I wanted to see how widely accepted/known the Discover/BC card connection is.  Do I need to tell the merchant to run it as a BC Card? I like that my Discover doesn’t have a FTF and their conversion is pretty decent.

Paris, France

How important is Chip and Pin in Paris?  I won’t be going outside of Paris and essentially will only be there for a Wedding so most likely will just be eating out and taking the metro.  I know Discover doesn’t work in France so I’ll either have to take one of my Citibank CCs or just rely on my debit card & pay cash.

Germany & Austria

I’ll be taking delivery of my new car in Germany and plan to drive around and visit my friends there and in Austria.  I’ll be there for little over a week as I visit my friends and head to the port to drop the car off.  I’ve heard that the unattended gas stations don’t take Chip & Sig cards and that Chip & Pin are required. My Citibank ThankYou Preferred World MC has both with Chip & Sig primary and Chip & Pin secondary but has a 3% FTF.   I’m hoping by then I will have a UNFCU Visa card which only has a 1% FTF which even with Visa’s horrible conversion should still be better than MC + 3%.  In case I don’t have it though, has anyone had trouble using the Citibank cards with secondary Chip & Pin at unattended kiosks?

Grand Cayman

Does anyone know if Chip & Pin is a requirement there or is it like most tourist places and takes all types?

Or would I just be better off applying for a Chip & Pin credit card from United Nation FCU instead as they seem to have the only primary Chip & Pin card out there.  My credit union only charges 1% FTF and no-ATM fee which is the best rate I've found so far for CASH withdrawls.  I don't qualify for USAA (plus you need to be active military) and PenFed/NavyFed don't seem to worth the hassle unless I'm wrong.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 (/20/13) * 656 CK/TU (9/2013) * 711 Vantage (9/2013) * 632 CS (9/2013)
Current Score:
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Citi Dividend MC (1997) $9.33k / Citi ThankYou Preferred World MC (2003) $7.96k / DiscoverIT (4/2013) $13.5k / AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (9/2013) $1k / New York and Company (unknown) / Citibank LoC (2006) $4.9k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nickkilla

Re: Discover in South Korea and Citibank Chip & Pin Secondary MCs in Europe?

Had no problem using discover for my 2 week trip in Seoul. 

USAA World MC 7500 * Discover IT 2500 *

Starting Score: 701
Current Score: TU724(MF) EQ712(MF) EX697 (MF)
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 8
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

I spend two months in Paris every year working and I've seldom run into any issues with no Chip & Pin (or even Chip & Signature) card. There are very few times it may be needed - some gas stations I think (didn't drive there) and metro machines (you can buy from kiosks with attendants). Similar experience in Germany.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 3 of 8
Pucelle
Established Member

Did you have to do anything special in South Korea or did they just swipe the card like normal?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 (/20/13) * 656 CK/TU (9/2013) * 711 Vantage (9/2013) * 632 CS (9/2013)
Current Score:

Citi Dividend MC (1997) $9.33k / Citi ThankYou Preferred World MC (2003) $7.96k / DiscoverIT (4/2013) $13.5k / AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (9/2013) $1k / New York and Company (unknown) / Citibank LoC (2006) $4.9k
Message 4 of 8
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Pucelle wrote:

Did you have to do anything special in South Korea or did they just swipe the card like normal?

It'll be swiped normal just like anywhere else..only thing is that their receipt form (where you sign) is a bit bigger than what we are used to in the states.  I'm Korean and have been there many times Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 8
Pucelle
Established Member

Cool thanks.

Current Score:

Message 6 of 8
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Pucelle wrote:

I will be traveling a lot this year and wanted to know people's experience with specific credit cards overseas in the countries and places I've listed below.  I only have the cards listed in my signature and my ability to get anymore is hampered by the fact that I will be buying a house this summer (full doc pre-approved already).

South Korea

I have a Discover Card that I’ve been told will work in South Korea as part of the BC Card network.  Has anyone used their Discover Card in South Korea and had any issues?  I know that Asia is mostly a cash society but I wanted to see how widely accepted/known the Discover/BC card connection is.  Do I need to tell the merchant to run it as a BC Card? I like that my Discover doesn’t have a FTF and their conversion is pretty decent.

Paris, France

How important is Chip and Pin in Paris?  I won’t be going outside of Paris and essentially will only be there for a Wedding so most likely will just be eating out and taking the metro.  I know Discover doesn’t work in France so I’ll either have to take one of my Citibank CCs or just rely on my debit card & pay cash.

Germany & Austria

I’ll be taking delivery of my new car in Germany and plan to drive around and visit my friends there and in Austria.  I’ll be there for little over a week as I visit my friends and head to the port to drop the car off.  I’ve heard that the unattended gas stations don’t take Chip & Sig cards and that Chip & Pin are required. My Citibank ThankYou Preferred World MC has both with Chip & Sig primary and Chip & Pin secondary but has a 3% FTF.   I’m hoping by then I will have a UNFCU Visa card which only has a 1% FTF which even with Visa’s horrible conversion should still be better than MC + 3%.  In case I don’t have it though, has anyone had trouble using the Citibank cards with secondary Chip & Pin at unattended kiosks?

Grand Cayman

Does anyone know if Chip & Pin is a requirement there or is it like most tourist places and takes all types?

Or would I just be better off applying for a Chip & Pin credit card from United Nation FCU instead as they seem to have the only primary Chip & Pin card out there.  My credit union only charges 1% FTF and no-ATM fee which is the best rate I've found so far for CASH withdrawls.  I don't qualify for USAA (plus you need to be active military) and PenFed/NavyFed don't seem to worth the hassle unless I'm wrong.

Incorrect....You can still apply for their CC, withou being a full member.

I am a partial member since 4/13, have chk and savings account with them. Just apped for AMEX USAA card and got declinedSmiley Sad

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 7 of 8
nyancat
Established Contributor

You don't need to be active military for USAA, but you do need to have some connection.

Best cash withdrawal is Schwab - zero FTF, refund ATM owner fee.

Germany - credit card acceptance in general is pretty dismal, beware many places are cash-only unlike in most of Europe.

Chip and PIN isn't that necessary in person, I don't rent cars so can't speak to petrol pumps. Some shopkeepers are idiots and will void the transaction when they see a signature slip, but this is rare - I've never, personally, experienced it. 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.