Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover initial CL recon?

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Discover initial CL recon?

Have been getting preapproval letters from discover for a while. Had no plans to get one, but this week they offered no interest x 15 mos and we are doing significant work on our basement in prep for a baby. Both of our contractors take discover, so thought this would be a good way to pay for the new floors (about $4000). Got instantly approved, but only $2500 limit. Last 3 cards have 5000, 7000 and 16000 limits, so expected something closer to 5000. I have zero balances except my Amex zync, income in excess of 100k and dti around 25%. Was planning to recon amount, since 2500 makes the card pretty useless. Wondering if anyone has had success and if there is a timing that works best ( now vs when I have card in hand, etc,). Thoughts?
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover initial CL recon?

I tried doing this exact thing  2 months ago. I tried 3 seperate occations, when I got approved, when I called to activate, and then finally called to a account manager and they all said the same thing. They require 6 months and then they will review your account for a CLI.

Then I tried again when they held my funds when I tried to make my first payment. My CL is at $3500, and I was making a $34xx payment. I called and explained that I need a larger CL because for the last 2 weeks, I haven't been able to use my Discover because it's been maxed out. They still said that I need to wait for 6 months. They did release the hold on my payment though, otherwise it would have been a "up to 8 days hold"

I mean, I think you should still try. But don't be disapointed when they don't CLI you.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 3
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover initial CL recon?

Huge YMMV, I was recently able to get my initial CL bumped to 10k from 5k after recon. I called and spoke with a credit analyst in their "new accounts" department immediately after getting the instant approval message online. At first, I was told that I will need to wait for 6 months. After a lengthy conversation and requesting for a supervisor to call me back, the same rep called me back a few minutes later to inform me that my CLI request was approved!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.