Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover invite

tag
akindofmagic
New Contributor

Discover invite

I have just been cordially "invited" to apply for a Discover More card with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.  The rewards look good and it has been on my wish list.  So here's the rub - I will be buying a new car (my first) next month once I receive my tax refund and I'm afraid of what a hard inquiry and new credit will do to my FICOs which are (as of yesterday) 754 tu, 790 eq & 798 ex. 

My current cards are:

Bank of America -  10,000 cl , $4900.00 balance
WAMU  -                 10,000 cl, 0 balance
Chase -                   8,000 cl, 0 balance
Home Depot -         1,500 cl 0, balance
store clothing card -  600 cl, 0 balance

Is it worth it or should I wait until after I buy the car?

p.s. don't let the "first new car" statement lull you into thinking I'm some kid.  I'm over (well over) 21 (and 31).  I just have alway purchased previously enjoyed vehicles.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover invite

LOL! I love the statement "previously enjoyed cars". What a great way to put it. Smiley Happy

I got that same offer and went for it. Gave me $2,000 opening cl, with many lates and a few things in Public Records. I love the card. And proud to be in the Discover class....finally. Smiley Happy

If I were you, I'd hold off to apply for it until AFTER you get the car. Next month is not to far off, and applying for the card would in all probability drop your scores.

When does the offer expire?
Message 2 of 6
akindofmagic
New Contributor

Sylviatob wrote:
LOL! I love the statement "previously enjoyed cars". What a great way to put it. Smiley Happy

I got that same offer and went for it. Gave me $2,000 opening cl, with many lates and a few things in Public Records. I love the card. And proud to be in the Discover class....finally. Smiley Happy

If I were you, I'd hold off to apply for it until AFTER you get the car. Next month is not to far off, and applying for the card would in all probability drop your scores.

When does the offer expire?

The offer expires April 30th so I have some time.  Thanks for the input - I think I will wait until after I buy the car.
Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

for cars you just need like 620 credit score for good rate, 680 i think at most for tier 1, which will get you all the special aprs... so even if you took a 10 point drop from inquiry, you would be WAY high enough
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

An Inq shouldn't hurt you too much.  Depending on hat other madness is in your report.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received one of these offers and so far have resisted apping-

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.