Regular Contributor
itsjustmeibe

Discover is a strange bird

So I app'd and received a Discover card in Nov 2008. I had an online transfer offer of 3.9% for some period of time. Then in February, that offer changed to 9.99%. Ouch! So my pattern had been to use it up to about the limit each month and make several payments during the month. I decided to put my trip on there for $2400, which only leaves me a $600 available limit. I intend to pay it before the statement cuts on the 18th, but now when I look at my offers, I have a 1.99% and a 3.99% available. So when I had more available credit, the balance transfer was less lucrative. I wouldn't be surprised if after I pay this in a week or so, my offer will jump back to the 9.99%.

Are they the only ones that charge a 4% transfer fee? But they do cap at $150.

Regular Contributor
turbowrx

Re: Discover is a strange bird

In terms of the balance transfer rate changing, that happened to me also. I got the card June 2008 then I think in Nov it changed to 9.99 and after my statement cut it went to 1.99.  I think what happens is, when you first get your card the 3.9 is a promotional rate for a set period of time. Once that time passes you are automatically changed to the 9.99%. I think after that time your account is reviewed and changed to the better rate ( new offer).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+