Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is just getting... ridiculous

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Discover is just getting... ridiculous

As a new Discover More cardmember, I was very happy with their online account access. It seemed simple and straightforward. Now, after having placed two inquiring calls to their customer service center about a bonus cashback questions and having seen the level of disorientation, confusion and general blithe ignorance ("I can't help you but I'll transfer you to dep. X" was something I heard at least 6 times during one call) AND having seen the obnoxious make-you-feel-good-about-yourself advertisement plastered all over our local mall during Christmas (even sticky posters that covered the entire elevator door, isn't that ridiculous), I was about to change my opinion about Discover from positive to not so positive.

Now, the latest nonsense is that whenever you click on their website to log onto your account, you'll see a balance transfer offer that constantly changes and is displayed to the general public (before you actually log on). Sometimes it's 0%, then it's 5%, then it's 4% and so forth... Mind you, this I see all from the same computer that I use each and every time with the same browser settings.

I am not interested even in these offers but I have to say that if I were interested in them and had accidentally caught the website with a worse offer and applied and had then seen that a better offer existed, I would have been.... well.... stinkin' mad! This seems all an aleatoric game, controlled by computer algorithms that none of us will comprehend. That shows to me that Discover cannot be really serious about what they want to offer. They keep switching their offers. Honestly, I find this insincere at best.

As a customer, I want straightforward offers, not these switching things. Absolutely anathema to me!

I've already made a pledge that a.) Discover will not receive a cent in interest from me ever! and that b.) I will milk the card for their 5% categories and they won't be getting anything else!

I also have cards from Amex, Cap. One, PNC, BoA, and none of their offers are as blatantly evanescent (for lack of a better word).

Speaking of offers, anyone notice the annoyingly large Turbo Tax ad once one is logged in. I mean this is my official account, and even here I am visually bombarded with advertisement. Others do that probably too, but not as blatantly direct it seems (could be wrong, though).

A credit card is like a free email account: a license for the proprietor to bombard you with advertisements.

End of evening rant.... Smiley Mad

But seriously, we customers should have more say. I wished I could just tell them to turn off unsolicited advertisements when I log on.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover is just getting... ridiculous

You can use AdBlock with Firefox or Chrome and avoid all those ads

Message 2 of 3
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover is just getting... ridiculous

^^^

Haha, if only you could bring AdBlock to the mall!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.