cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is like my "old" Capital One service!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover is like my "old" Capital One service!

Recently added myself as joint to my partners Discover card and it's always been the thorn in my side over the small Credit Line of $4500 and I know at the time we were on mad app spree and blah blah but here we sit and it's still the same... Discover seems to favor lower credit scores, and higher util. BUT at smaller amounts... like I had a friend that got approved ltitle bit before my partner with 97% util across his file for just a tad less then my partner... fast forward to 1 year and it was paid off and he got a small CLI... my partners is paid off and no auto cli.

Anyway the online request has NEVER worked so called in just now to ask for CLI all the way up to point of IF it needs to be HP and she says actually since this is a joint account Discover requires both cardmembers to be on the phone at same time!

WHAT? no credit pull and clearly I know his income since we are together so why do you need to speak to him?

it's just our policy here at discover.

I just feel I always hit some road block with them when I don't just let it be what it is, a decent rewards card on categories with a limit that really is enough for what we are going to charge on it now but you know my obsession with credit and I want to be rewarded for good use and building a relationship so every so often I call around or look at the portfolio and want to see rewards (credit or apr) and discover and chase are not doing that right now! but chase is over double the line of discover so I have accepted them for who they are today, just not discover Smiley Tongue

okay great thanks... that's my rant for the day I think and I'm back to accepting them for what they are.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover is like my "old" Capital One service!

CA

I know the feeling......... I just got of the phone with them and it was a no go,they wanted to do a HP.......Never had a CLI either

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Can't speak towards the 'joint' issue but I have been successful in getting CLI's and my util is never over 20% and at last checked CS were between 715-745. Not great but not bad either.

With all lenders, it's a YMMV
Message 3 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Since it's joint isn't this how it should be? What's to stop one from increasing it, running it up and defaulting, and then damaging the other's credit?
Message 4 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I know how this feels.....funny Discover SP'd me twice in October on TU..never before in the past 10 months but still no luv. Oh well... they see that they will not make any money from me but need to pay  out cash back instead of collecting interest... it is simply business for them  (my own conclusion) ..LOL

Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

And no this is not typical because it's joint to have both owners be on phone... Usually joint gives you full privileges to the account to avoid something like this if you were just au user or something
Message 6 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Nice rant, just saying!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IIRC, Discovers 'joint' form never required a pull on the 'joint' CR. Maybe, it's more of a glorified AU?
Message 8 of 10
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

I know how your feeling. Discover does that to me too. While I was able to get what I want from others from the start I was never able to get it from Discover and I have tried like more then 10 times since 1998. Newest example: while I have AmEx, Chase, US Bank, USAA at $20K plus credit line and FICO 800 plus, Discover just gave me two months ago "It" card with crappy $3,500. My positive credit history of 15 years means nothing to them, my great FICO score means nothing to them and my substantial income means nothing to them as well. They still want me to use only their crappy card and still keep proving myself to them until they give me what I want and that is at least $10K CL. It's still in my dreams only with Discover.
Message 9 of 10
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

P.S.

My scores below are obsolete. That is from last year. I have not posted anything for long time, 10 months at least. It's 815 now. I will update my signature.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.