Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is pretty stingy...

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover is pretty stingy...

@mxp114 wrote:

Not weak but a very compelling justification for lack of a higher line. Discover is more conservative and they like to see utilization, especially in the $20k+ lines. I requested an increase to $40,000 and got it. So they do give high lines when your credit, income AND spending demands it Smiley Wink

+1

This logic pretty much applies to most prime lenders (except Amex because of the 3x CLI feature).

I used my Chase Amazon a lot back in the day and when I asked for a CLI, they increased my CLI by 4.25x

It's hard to persuade lenders why you need a high CL if you barely ever touch that card. GE is an exception.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 37
warofkraid
New Contributor

My Discover was my main card.  I heavily used it and when I finally asked for a CLI, I was denied because the last bad thing on my report from like 5 years ago.  That single couple days late payment (only because Sears/Citi randomly changed my due date that month and I didn't notice) is the reason why.  I didn't bother trying to fight it and get it.  I didn't ask for some outrageous CLI like 1K to 10K or something, just from 1K to 2.5K.  I've done some big purchases in the past couple years over 1K and had to not use my Discover card at those moments which I would have rather used.

The Amex BCE I recently got has become my main card for the moment, mainly because I want the $100 for spending $1000 on it which is no problem.  Will Discover return to be my mainly used card?  Maybe for gas next quarter because I sure don't shop at home improvement stores much to enjoy the current 5%.

I mean, I guess I don't really need a CLI because I rarely go beyond a couple hundred on the card at once and I usually pay off what I spend on it a couple times a month.  I know I'm a bad customer because I don't keep a balance, but I can't help but feel that I'm being punished for being a responsible adult and paying off my debt in a good amount of time.

Starting Score: 4/26/13 EX 763 / TU 771 / EQ 758 Goal Scores: 800
Current Score: 9/10/17 EX 830 / TU 833 / EQ 849
Palladium Garden Club Member: App Free since 8/12/16. No more apps til 20??
Cap1 QS MC $2.15K | Cap1 QS Visa $3.25K | Chase Freedom $4.3K| Chase Amazon $4.5K
Citi Double Cash $6.8K | Barclay Ring $7.5K | Discover IT $23.1K |Amex BCP $18.6K
Message 22 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@flyingace wrote:

That is rather cheap... although, I think from another thread I read, Discover likes to see balances reporting, and decent use of the card, so perhaps when you get the new computer! 

Regardless, congrats on the CLI, lol!

When they show me luv, i'll show them usage. Smiley Happy

Until then my PRG gets the luv!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 23 of 37
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

I'm mad at them too. I've had my More for 6 months now. CL at 1700$. They told me to request a CLI once I get to 6 months. Ok so I DId that yesterday and got the insant "can not process your request" message.

I always carry a balance and pushed all the way to 85% of the card, Paying down and up every month. I've used the card heavily and Always made huge payments. I'm pretty upset at not getting the CLI and I can't waste the HP by calling so looks like I'm SOL.

If I get my NFCU card I'm sure the discover will no longer be used lol.

This really irritates me. Especially considering My CRAPone card has almost the same limit as my discover. I never would have thought THEY would have given me an increase before discover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 24 of 37
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982- that's what I'm about to say too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 25 of 37
NCGirl
New Contributor

You need to call into to Discover and let them know that you have other cards with lower limits and see if they will lower your limit. If they say no, then ask if they have any promotional interest rates. They gave me a 3.90% promo interest rate for the next 6 month just for complaining about their interest rate. Then I spoke with someone in the credit analysis dept. And he said that they could discuss lowering my int rate at a another time if I like. I know it will take a hard pull, so I'm just going to wait until next year for that once a bunch of my inq fall off.

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 26 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Im done kissing Discover's rear end for an increase. Ill take my business elsewhere until they show me what ive proven to them for over a year: A reliable trustworthy customer just looking for some luv! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 27 of 37
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

Now in Discover's (weak) defense, I've not been using this card much...no more than $150 ever charged on it in a month and always PIF.

Not weak but a very compelling justification for lack of a higher line. Discover is more conservative and they like to see utilization, especially in the $20k+ lines. I requested an increase to $40,000 and got it. So they do give high lines when your credit, income AND spending demands it Smiley Wink

Yes, I've seen your profile around here.  You easily have the largest Discover CL I've ever seen.  So it is possible. (Actually, all of your CLs are pretty awesome Smiley Happy )

As for me, my initial complaint was and still is the initial CL (and interest rate).  You talk about seeing utilization and I get that.  But I had specific plans for this card since I was going to buy not one but two Apple computers with it...a Macbook Pro for my wife for her new business, and a Mac Pro for myself.  Both together will be around $5K total, maybe more.  So when Discover comes with an opening CL of $2500, that instantly has me looking for other options.  45 days later, Citi sends me an offer for a Thank You Preferred card with 0% interest for 21 months.  I apped and got a CL of $9500 and an interest rate of 11.99%.  Guess which card gets the Mac Pro?  

Yes, Discover will still get the Macbook purchase (mainly just to see if utilization with them really makes a difference) and we'll probably use it more around Christmas when the Amazon perks kick in, but they need to do a better job of giving some of the higher earners a chance to really do some damage on the card.  Otherwise I'll find alternatives.

Message 28 of 37
cclee
Regular Contributor

@zerobacan wrote:

@cclee wrote:

I've had 2 auto CLI in the last 3 mo's, it is my go to card though, use it for everything, just got an offer of 3% cash back on all purchase thru Dec 31st plus the 5% quartly promo's.

cclee, do you do multiple payments? PIF? report any balance?

thanks

I do multiple payments and PIF, so like whatever I spend that week, I pay the following Monday.  I have an 8400 limit, it was 5800 in January and i've never asked for an increase, but I did get an increase on a Citi card and within a few days Discover did an auto CLI, then again about 2 months later but nothing changed to trigger that one.  I do let it get close to the limit though and they were both done in the middle of a cycle, so even if I maxed it out it was still PIF by statement close.

In The Garden Until 11/01/15 - Last App 11/03/13
Message 29 of 37
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I just applied for the discover it and was approved for $6000. Yeah, it's not my highest limit, but I think it's a solid start.
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.