Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover issued me a new card - data breach {UPDATE}

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Discover issued me a new card - data breach {UPDATE}

Well I tried to log into my account via mobile and it said I couldn't due to special circumstances on my account. Like what???? LOL Then I get to thinking maybe I forgot to pay the bill but I have that schedule already. So I called them up and they said a new card was just issued today because to a data breach of a merchant that hasn't gone public yet. 

Keep your eyes on your account folks.

3/25

I checked my EQ report today and the whole entire tradeline has been removed, hopefully when they update they will put it back along with the history. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover issued me a new card - data breach

Wow... I like how Discover handled it.  Thanks for the update.

Message 2 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow... I like how Discover handled it.  Thanks for the update.

+1

Discover for the win yet again... thanks for the heads-up! 

Message 3 of 12
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing, good to know.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, shoot. I hope this didn't affect many. 

Message 5 of 12
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I had that same thing happening about a year ago and got new cards for Discover and  Arrival+ ...tried to find out which merchant could have been involved by comparing transactions and did not find anything in common.  Resigned with no clue to where that so called breach could have taken place but both CCC gave me the reason of a merchant informing them of a breach and of course not revealling details.  It left me a bit in disbelieve because there was not a single merchant identical.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to Discover and I'm thankful for this information OP!
Message 7 of 12
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I didn't get that but will be watching.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 8 of 12
Emyshor
Valued Member

I think they are laying about the breach.

My debit card with them (Checking account) was used in CA at a Levi's Store and I've never used that card since I've opened a year ago. It sits inside my drawer, don't even carried with me. They have no idea what happened and how come somebody can steal your info without even using the card at all.

Since I've got the card sits there, I have an alarm system, so nobody got inside my house, but still my card was used in CA (I live in OR).

I think somebody hack into their network and stole my card info, that's the only way someone can get my card info since the card was never used.

Message 9 of 12
iv
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I had that same thing happening about a year ago and got new cards for Discover and  Arrival+ ...tried to find out which merchant could have been involved by comparing transactions and did not find anything in common.  Resigned with no clue to where that so called breach could have taken place but both CCC gave me the reason of a merchant informing them of a breach and of course not revealling details.  It left me a bit in disbelieve because there was not a single merchant identical.

Likely a breach of a middleman....  Payment processors are an even juicier target than retailers.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.