Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it CLI Decline

tag
TravisT45
Valued Member

Discover it CLI Decline

Had the card for 6 months , paid perfect never carried a balance one time . Started with a paltry $500 CL , have pushed $3k through the card in the six months I've had it .

They put me on the phone with a credit anylyst and the reason for denial was that I had used it for cash advances a few times (of course I paid them as soon as it showed up on my account ) . Considering what they charge to do cash advances you would think they would love for you to do them especially when you pay them back instantly . Apperantly it throws up red flags to them , so in the sock drawer it goes !

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TravisT45
Valued Member

Re: Discover it CLI Decline

Forgot to mention my score has gone up roughly 40 points since I got the card , apperantly that didnt matter . I have other cards with better limits now so Im going to let Discover collect dust now !

Message 2 of 18
hot4u
Established Contributor

Credit card Cash advance is not suggested. For many reasons... There not making $$ on transactions on purchases if your using cash etc..

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 3 of 18
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Maxing out the card (even if it's PIF) and getting a few cash advances in the first 6 months of ownership is a red flag. Your low starting CL suggests a limited history or a credit profile with derogs and maybe defaults. They gave you $500 to see how well you managed the card and how responsible you were, also to see what potential risk. In 6 months if you topped out the card and used cash advances, you showed you were a risk and not very responsible (in their eyes).  For the next 6 months, run up to 20% utilization each month and pay the balance. Don' t do any cash advances. If you do this, I guarantee your chances of a CLI will be better. 

Message 4 of 18
jaebsf
Contributor

My experience with Discover has been similar. But I've been with them since 1999 and still get treated like dirt by them. And my credit is actually very good. I put an occassional charge on it to keep it alive just because it's so old. Otherwise I have no affinity for Discover whatsoever.

Message 5 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TravisT45 wrote:

Had the card for 6 months , paid perfect never carried a balance one time . Started with a paltry $500 CL , have pushed $3k through the card in the six months I've had it .

They put me on the phone with a credit anylyst and the reason for denial was that I had used it for cash advances a few times (of course I paid them as soon as it showed up on my account ) . Considering what they charge to do cash advances you would think they would love for you to do them especially when you pay them back instantly . Apperantly it throws up red flags to them , so in the sock drawer it goes !

LOL, absurd, my father used to run his business on CCs, taking the full limit as BT or cash advances and on all his cards, his outstanding debts on CCs could be 80-150K at any one time while waiting to be paid for a job, this was in the mid 80s to his death in the early 90s, he could never run that business in todays enviornment, he would tell any CC company that pulled these shenanigans to go to you know where and I would as well. SD them and forget them. I would also be writing a letter to the CEO telling them how outrageous their operations are.

Message 6 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@jaebsf wrote:

My experience with Discover has been similar. But I've been with them since 1999 and still get treated like dirt by them. And my credit is actually very good. I put an occassional charge on it to keep it alive just because it's so old. Otherwise I have no affinity for Discover whatsoever.

Sorry fans but i must agree with many others, Discover Card SUX big time Smiley Frustrated

I been given the same old song and dance routine from them every time i call for a CLI. Had mine since August if that's any indicator, but moreover, unless they start to show some positive return results other than their limited 5% category mumbo jumbo (even my BofA 321 blows them out of the water), it's a depressing lender in my eyes almost as bad as CapitalOne. In fact CapitalOne might just be better.

OP is not just whistling dixie.

Message 7 of 18
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@jaebsf wrote:

Sorry fans but i must agree with many others, Discover Card SUX big time Smiley Frustrated

I been given the same old song and dance routine from them every time i call for a CLI. Had mine since August if that's any indicator, but moreover, unless they start to show some positive return results other than their limited 5% category mumbo jumbo (even my BofA 321 blows them out of the water), it's a depressing lender in my eyes almost as bad as CapitalOne. In fact CapitalOne might just be better.

I went from a $2k limit to a $9k limit with 2 SP and 1 HP in a span of 1 month. It's not the card or the company, it's the user. But I am curious how your BoA card blows Discover out of the water. 

Message 8 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@DrZoiberg wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@jaebsf wrote:

I went from a $2k limit to a $9k limit with 2 SP and 1 HP in a span of 1 month. It's not the card or the company, it's the user. But I am curious how your BoA card blows Discover out of the water

Quite simple. The Credit Limit period. In my case, like some others, not everyone of course, while Discover keeps dragging it's feet and spewing out denial after denial for even a little CLI without a precious HP, even my so-called subbrand store cards have accelerated their CLI's far in advance of what Discover's limit is stalled out at. So it's turned into the perfect SD card now. BTW, i always PIF and once carried a balance but still no joy Smiley Mad

Others have better results of course but no matter, i have prime cards + store cards with starting limits at or in excess of 5K so i'm just as satisfied where it stands if they are Smiley Very Happy 

Message 9 of 18
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Oh I thought you meant in terms of rewards and not the CL. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.