Senior Contributor

Re: Discover it EMV question

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat ..are you saying it is the design?  The ones I tried with error were New York and Daisy Gerbera. The blue worked at a gas station in Switzerland with chip. That would be odd as these became available much later. 😉

Yes, I am saying that. Who made the bad cards? CPI made the card that works for me, G&D the cards that didn't.

Where can I see who issued the cards ?  Interesting ....I would like to check if the blue and the two others that are not working were issued issued from a different company.... but I cannot find anything on the cards Smiley Embarassed

They're all ISSUED by Discover. But if you look at the top right on the back you can see the manufacturer. For CPI it will say "cpi-co", for Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) it will have a tiny version of their logo.

Thanks a lot.. now I see it. For me all the cards issued by G&D are not working. CPI reads chip smoothly ...wow... strange that Discover has not all cards issued by the same company.

Same here, though one person on another board has an issue with a CPI card. Still, it seems that the CPI cards at least work sometimes, I have not yet seen one report of one of the G&D cards actually working.

It's no surprise at all to use multiple vendors. It allows orders to be spread out, and gets companies to compete against each other. CPI and G&D are both major, reputable smart card vendors. I would not blame G&D for this problem. It is more likely a problem in Discover's customisation of the cards, but we just... don't know. Nor do we know how they'll fix it. Depending on how far they're ACTUALLY getting, it may be possible to fix these cards remotely by issuer script (though I doubt it).

It could also be that the cards are fine and it's an issue in the D-PAS application and certification, though this seems much less likely. It's also possible an update to D-PAS could enable them to work. Still, doubtful. I suspect a re-issue of these cards is in the not-too-distant future...

Great info. At least I learnt something now... I looked at my cards and could not tell the difference but with your explanation I can see the G&D logo Smiley Happy  ... at the moment I am amused when merchants keep telling me ..." no no... you cannot wipe this card! It has a chip "   ... shocked sales personal in Europe that had also the impression a chip card cannot be swiped ... Discover  shows otherwise ..lol... I just checked and  the garnet red is CPI  as well and I know I had that one used with chip before.

Message 41 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat ..are you saying it is the design?  The ones I tried with error were New York and Daisy Gerbera. The blue worked at a gas station in Switzerland with chip. That would be odd as these became available much later. 😉

Yes, I am saying that. Who made the bad cards? CPI made the card that works for me, G&D the cards that didn't.

Where can I see who issued the cards ?  Interesting ....I would like to check if the blue and the two others that are not working were issued issued from a different company.... but I cannot find anything on the cards Smiley Embarassed

They're all ISSUED by Discover. But if you look at the top right on the back you can see the manufacturer. For CPI it will say "cpi-co", for Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) it will have a tiny version of their logo.

Thanks a lot.. now I see it. For me all the cards issued by G&D are not working. CPI reads chip smoothly ...wow... strange that Discover has not all cards issued by the same company.

Same here, though one person on another board has an issue with a CPI card. Still, it seems that the CPI cards at least work sometimes, I have not yet seen one report of one of the G&D cards actually working.

It's no surprise at all to use multiple vendors. It allows orders to be spread out, and gets companies to compete against each other. CPI and G&D are both major, reputable smart card vendors. I would not blame G&D for this problem. It is more likely a problem in Discover's customisation of the cards, but we just... don't know. Nor do we know how they'll fix it. Depending on how far they're ACTUALLY getting, it may be possible to fix these cards remotely by issuer script (though I doubt it).

It could also be that the cards are fine and it's an issue in the D-PAS application and certification, though this seems much less likely. It's also possible an update to D-PAS could enable them to work. Still, doubtful. I suspect a re-issue of these cards is in the not-too-distant future...

Great info. At least I learnt something now... I looked at my cards and could not tell the difference but with your explanation I can see the G&D logo Smiley Happy  ... at the moment I am amused when merchants keep telling me ..." no no... you cannot wipe this card! It has a chip "   ... shocked sales personal in Europe that had also the impression a chip card cannot be swiped ... Discover  shows otherwise ..lol... I just checked and  the garnet red is CPI  as well and I know I had that one used with chip before.

So, there are two issues here:

1. The G&D cards seem to have some issue. Probably Discover's personalisation is failing, yet somehow validating, but that's pure speculation on my part.

2. Many merchants, even chip-enabled ones are not enabled for chip DISCOVER/DINER'S (D-PAS). At these merchants, still insert the card first but then swipe it when the terminal errors or says to swipe the card.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 42 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am looking forward to the little experiment now.  Whenever a merchant terminal requires to swipe the D&G card I will simply select a CPI card and insert the chip again. If this processes by chip then I know it is the card and the merchant has chip enabled for Diners. Curious to see the result. I am almost positive that DCI cards will process because I am sure I  would have noticed if the card had required swipe after inserting chip in the past... it is so unusual and since I do not remember such actions I am pretty sure it worked with the garnet red in the past.

Message 43 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I am looking forward to the little experiment now.  Whenever a merchant terminal requires to swipe the D&G card I will simply select a CPI card and insert the chip again. If this processes by chip then I know it is the card and the merchant has chip enabled for Diners. Curious to see the result. I am almost positive that DCI cards will process because I am sure I  would have noticed if the card had required swipe after inserting chip in the past... it is so unusual and since I do not remember such actions I am pretty sure it worked with the garnet red in the past.

Update on my little experiment.  It is indeed the Discover chip cards issued by D&G (New York and Daisy Gerbera designs)  that will not work with chip. When the terminal was requesting to swipe  I cancelled and tried the Discover card issued by DCI and yes smooth processing with chip. Tests at the same merchant which has chip enabled for at least 10 years but Discover cards from D&G get refused. Swipe only. But the ones from CPI (blue and garnet red) get processed by reading the chip smoothly.  It looks that the D&G cards are not compatible to chip readers Smiley Sad

Message 44 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

Thank you for the update. The company is actually G&D (Giesecke & Devrient). They know their stuff so I'd put the blame fully on Discover for how they are programming these cards if I had to guess. Regardless, you may as well report it but at the same time they do clearly know they don't work because they pulled all of these designs from their website...
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 45 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:
Thank you for the update. The company is actually G&D (Giesecke & Devrient). They know their stuff so I'd put the blame fully on Discover for how they are programming these cards if I had to guess. Regardless, you may as well report it but at the same time they do clearly know they don't work because they pulled all of these designs from their website...

ups...these abbreviations..lol.. Thanks. I did not realize that the new designs were taken down. Wonder if they will send replacement cards once they  manage to get them in working condition. No problem I do now carry both versions of the Discover cards and if a terminal simply does not accept the card at all  I will have to use the one with the working chip as not all merchant terminal allow to swipe a chip card and rather reject the card entirely.

Message 46 of 49
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Just upgraded my card to CHIP version. Will see how it goes. Have been using CHIP cards with CHASE, Barclay for quite long. No problem while swiping the magnetic strip of those cards. Plus lots of merchents already started using CHIP card terminals.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 47 of 49
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

Just upgraded my card to CHIP version. Will see how it goes. Have been using CHIP cards with CHASE, Barclay for quite long. No problem while swiping the magnetic strip of those cards. Plus lots of merchents already started using CHIP card terminals.

They have?

Not near me, but I guess depends on your area. I haven't seen any chip terminals in use anywhere I have shopped.

Personally I'll just wait until the issuers send me the chipped versions. I don't plan any international trips, and EMV is not strictly needed in the US for several months yet.

Message 48 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

Giesecke & Devrient Discover cards now work at Walmart. Nothing seems to have changed on the card, even after a transaction, the logging is gone. I don't recall if I was asked for cash back or not, but it seemed to have worked fine and it went through.

Now, I want to know if they've been fixed everywhere (hopefully), which would represent a back-end change Discover made (since the transactions WERE getting far enough that Discover saw them); or if Walmart made a software change to make them work (not ideal, though there'd still be hope the cards could be truly fixed through issuer scripts).

Either way, it raises the serious question - HOW ON EARTH did Discover manage to ship out cards that didn't actually work? That seems a very basic quality control check - make sure what you're going to ship can function.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.