Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it EMV question

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover it EMV question

@nyancat wrote:

No, Discover doesn't make cards. The manufacturer is on the card. It's probably going to be either CPI or G&D.

Oh I see now. It's G&D for my card.

Did you leave it inserted or did you try to remove it immediately? If you left it inserted, it sounds like they enabled EMV enforcement, but did not actually load the EMV apps. Yay for utter incompetence. Remember, EMV cards need to be left in.

I left it in until the little message said "remove your card".

Message 31 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

No, Discover doesn't make cards. The manufacturer is on the card. It's probably going to be either CPI or G&D.

Oh I see now. It's G&D for my card.

Did you leave it inserted or did you try to remove it immediately? If you left it inserted, it sounds like they enabled EMV enforcement, but did not actually load the EMV apps. Yay for utter incompetence. Remember, EMV cards need to be left in.

I left it in until the little message said "remove your card".

Adds to my evidence that the G&D cards are mis-programmed or something and do not actually work. I only had Walmart to go off of, but it seems it may be a wider problem, as Discover has pulled a bunch of designs. I'm sure the chips are fine, G&D is reputable, so something in their card customisation process...

And on the second one, definitely sounds like a terminal set up to "use the chip" but without the chip applications actually available. One suggestion is to try letting it fail three times and see if it works on the fourth attempt (technical fallback). 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 32 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat ..are you saying it is the design?  The ones I tried with error were New York and Daisy Gerbera. The blue worked at a gas station in Switzerland with chip. That would be odd as these became available much later. 😉

Yes, I am saying that. Who made the bad cards? CPI made the card that works for me, G&D the cards that didn't.

Where can I see who issued the cards ?  Interesting ....I would like to check if the blue and the two others that are not working were issued issued from a different company.... but I cannot find anything on the cards Smiley Embarassed

Message 33 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat ..are you saying it is the design?  The ones I tried with error were New York and Daisy Gerbera. The blue worked at a gas station in Switzerland with chip. That would be odd as these became available much later. 😉

Yes, I am saying that. Who made the bad cards? CPI made the card that works for me, G&D the cards that didn't.

Where can I see who issued the cards ?  Interesting ....I would like to check if the blue and the two others that are not working were issued issued from a different company.... but I cannot find anything on the cards Smiley Embarassed

They're all ISSUED by Discover. But if you look at the top right on the back you can see the manufacturer. For CPI it will say "cpi-co", for Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) it will have a tiny version of their logo.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 34 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here in TX my local Wal-Mart turned on their chip portion of their payment terminals in early January as I recall.

Message 35 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here in TX my local Wal-Mart turned on their chip portion of their payment terminals in early January as I recall.

Turned on, or began enforcing? I'm glad some are enforcing again, but chip acceptance has been on at all Walmarts since November. It sounds like they may be trialling enforcing the service code again, and I'm glad to hear that. Without requiring you to use the chip, accepting the chip is almost pointless (it means if you use the chip, a data breach there won't affect you as severely - but it does nothing to keep counterfeit cards from being used there).

Message 36 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turned on.

Previously the slots were blocked (I think) and you had to use the magnetic stripe, even if you had an EMV.

Around January I noticed every register had a little info notice attached giving details on how to use EMV cards with the payment slots. They aren't enforced though, or at least not yet. I tried to use my Chase Freedom EMV a couple of weeks ago, and after the EMV reader twice failed to read the chip she just had me swipe it, which went through as normal. As you say, without mandating it it is fairly pointless right now, for its main purpose anyway.

Message 37 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Turned on.

Previously the slots were blocked (I think) and you had to use the magnetic stripe, even if you had an EMV.

Around January I noticed every register had a little info notice attached giving details on how to use EMV cards with the payment slots. They aren't enforced though, or at least not yet. I tried to use my Chase Freedom EMV a couple of weeks ago, and after the EMV reader twice failed to read the chip she just had me swipe it, which went through as normal. As you say, without mandating it it is fairly pointless right now, for its main purpose anyway.

Darn. I don't get it. Why do they even bother without enforcing it...

Message 38 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

They're all ISSUED by Discover. But if you look at the top right on the back you can see the manufacturer. For CPI it will say "cpi-co", for Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) it will have a tiny version of their logo.

Thanks a lot.. now I see it. For me all the cards issued by G&D are not working. CPI reads chip smoothly ...wow... strange that Discover has not all cards issued by the same company.

Message 39 of 49
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Thanks a lot.. now I see it. For me all the cards issued by G&D are not working. CPI reads chip smoothly ...wow... strange that Discover has not all cards issued by the same company.

Same here, though one person on another board has an issue with a CPI card. Still, it seems that the CPI cards at least work sometimes, I have not yet seen one report of one of the G&D cards actually working.

It's no surprise at all to use multiple vendors. It allows orders to be spread out, and gets companies to compete against each other. CPI and G&D are both major, reputable smart card vendors. I would not blame G&D for this problem. It is more likely a problem in Discover's customisation of the cards, but we just... don't know. Nor do we know how they'll fix it. Depending on how far they're ACTUALLY getting, it may be possible to fix these cards remotely by issuer script (though I doubt it).

It could also be that the cards are fine and it's an issue in the D-PAS application and certification, though this seems much less likely. It's also possible an update to D-PAS could enable them to work. Still, doubtful. I suspect a re-issue of these cards is in the not-too-distant future...

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.