Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Miles lead time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it Miles lead time

Can anyone provide input on how long to expect to receive a Discover it Miles card (probably any Discover card) from application to actual plastic in my hands (presuming instant approval)?

Back story is, I want the Discover it Miles to take advantage of the effective 3% for the first year. Currently I'm finishing up some spending thresholds on other cards, which should culminate around August 1, so I don't want to get the card now and be splitting my spending. I'm going on a three week vacation starting 8/20, and will probably want the card on that vacation. In that case, I'd want to actually have the plastic before 8/20. But I don't want it too early and waste part of that 12-month 3% window. On the other hand, if another of my existing cards happens to have a bonus which equates to 3% or better during August/September, then I may want to put off the card until after vacation.

So I want to wait as late as possible to get the card to maximize the benefits and keep my eyes open for other offers, but don't want to risk not getting the card before 8/20 in case I want to bring it on vcaction. And of course, the worst would be if I applied on 8/1 and the card didn't arrive until 8/20 when I'm already gone, and it sits in my mailbox wasting the first month of 3% while I make purchases at 2% CB.

If I wait until 8/1 to apply for Discover it Miles and get approved, what's the likelihood I'll receive the plastic by 8/19?

Chris.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover it Miles lead time

I think mine took about a week, but of course things can vary.   If, nearer the time, you determine you will need the card for your trip, Aug 1 should be OK, but you could do it a little earlier to be certain.   "Losing" a week or so of the 3% doesn't matter that much over the course of a year, especially if you have flexibility to buy things a little earlier than otherwise, making up for the week.

Also consider your uncategorized spend.  Unless you spend a lot, 3% (after a year) imay not be better than a lower rate with a bonus

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.