Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Secured It graduation question

tag
AwwwYeee
Regular Contributor

Discover it Secured It graduation question

I know a number of people got a secured discover it card. Anyone's discover it graduate yet? My 1 year is coming up next month and just wondering what to expect. Any info would help! Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it Secured It graduation question

@AwwwYeee wrote:

I know a number of people got a secured discover it card. Anyone's discover it graduate yet? My 1 year is coming up next month and just wondering what to expect. Any info would help! Thanks!

I'll be honest and tell you that I've never heard of a secured Discover card. Most banks evaluate a secured account at the one year anniversary, and I assume that Discover does the same. There is no guarentee that they will unsecure it after one year, but I think you have a good chance as long as you have paid on time and kept utilization down. I have a Discover card for students, and they have increased my limit every few months, so I know that they must reevaluate my account at least that often.

Let us know what happens!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it Secured It graduation question

I have heard of two people graduating (they posted in these forums).

It graduates at a year so long as you've been a good little cardholder.  They did not increase the CL for either of the people that graduated.  They mailed them a check for the security deposit.

I do not have any information in regards to when one can request a CLI after graduation - one person who graduated tried but was declined and did not update with the reasons why from the letter. 

What I would do, personally, if you want a CLI to give it 6 months after graduation - so treat the newly unsecured card as if it was a brand new approval instead of a year old.  Perhaps at 6 months one can get a CLI (even better would be if it's auto-luv or SP luv but I have no idea).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.