Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it the best Student card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it the best Student card?

I have the Discover it student card (albeit the chrome one) and it has struck me that I don't see too many people talking about the benefits that in my opinion make it better than even the standard card when I see it being discussed so I thought it would be helpful to point a few out. 

The first thing that largely makes it the best student card is the that it has the same sign up bonus as the regular card where most student cards (looking at you CITI) offer drastically reduced bonuses if they even offer one at all. To top this off, Discover gives a $20 cashback bonus for good grades that is then matched by the cashback match in the first year. It isn't huge, but it's still an incredible bonus for a student card that isn't available on the big kid version. But those are my thoughts on how beneficial this card can be when used properly. I'd welcome any discussion for or against it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover it the best Student card?

I would agree that Discover seems to have the best student setup. I got the Discover IT student and a cap one platinum the month I turned 18 because I wanted to start credit early. I still have mine at 22, and have really enjoyed using it.

My only caveat with it was mine seemed to get bucketed. I had a 500 SL with a 712 score at the time and it never increased. Recently I had been requesting CLI on it and was always denied so I decided to app for a 2nd IT card and was approved for 3500. So I guess my point is is that Discover can be fickle at times which may make other lenders seem more attractive.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it the best Student card?

Discover is definitely my favorite card. I got the IT Student and it has grown from $500->$4,600 and an APR reduction from 24.99->13.49 along with all of the benefits that you mentioned I really like the card for sure, and all of that in just over 2 years! My Barclay has only gotten one increase of only $500 so I'm at $1,500 with them. I'm still a student, but I think I'm going to be expanding my portfolio of cards soon. Discover certainly isn't going anywhere.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.