Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover losing benefits

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover losing benefits

Ouch...

Wonder if they might offer them to select members as a tier...  The rental and air protection used to be avalible to Discover More members at a certain level (it was an add-on) .... But losing rental protection and air.... not gonna charge a rental to this card....or buy plane tickets...

Message 11 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn’t affect my Discover usage. I would use a different card for those things anyway. 

Message 12 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchase and travel protections are benefits I totally scrutinize and use.  This won't effect me, though.  Looking at that start date and the 2018 categories, I'm only concerned about the 4Q Amazon.com category.  Since I'm not a wholesale club member, I can't maximize use of the card.  Considering the vast (vocal) majority here doesn't pay attention to the protections, and the broader consumer base doesn't either, then I can understand why Discover made the decision.  But it gives them a total disadvantage to Visa and Mastercard now.

Message 13 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bz386 wrote:
With this site being a bit of a Discover fan club, I am surprised that nobody has posted this yet. As reported by Doctor of Credit, starting February 2018, Discover is losing many benefits. Specifically:

Extended Product Warranty
Return Guarantee
Purchase Protection
Auto Rental Insurance
Flight Accident Insurance

Personally I don’t care as I would not charge anything that would require any of those benefits to Discover, but some people here might care.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-remove-many-card-benefits-february-28th-2018/

I'm curious which cards you guys are using for these types of purchases?

Message 14 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Off the top of my head, Amex covers all of that. I’m pretty sure a few of my other cards cover most if not all. I would have to check to be 100% sure on their specifics.

Message 15 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the information and post. Totally unaware! Like others, likely I would use a different card more oriented to travel where I know they would have those benefits. But, what a drop back and punt for Discover.
Message 16 of 57
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bz386 wrote:
With this site being a bit of a Discover fan club, I am surprised that nobody has posted this yet. As reported by Doctor of Credit, starting February 2018, Discover is losing many benefits. Specifically:

Extended Product Warranty
Return Guarantee
Purchase Protection
Auto Rental Insurance
Flight Accident Insurance

Personally I don’t care as I would not charge anything that would require any of those benefits to Discover, but some people here might care.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-remove-many-card-benefits-february-28th-2018/

I'm curious which cards you guys are using for these types of purchases?

Citi, Chase, Amex all cover these things. Amex doesn't have price protection, but has all the rest.

Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s not getting rid of price protection, it’s getting rid of purchase protection. Amex does cover purchase protection. 

Message 18 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removal of purchase protection kinda sucks. Not a deal breaker for me though, it was just nice to have that feature available. Wonder what they are going to offer in order to compete with other cards.

Message 19 of 57
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Less cliSmiley Wink
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.