Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover mailer - worth a try?

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Discover mailer - worth a try?

Hello Everyone,

I've been rebuilding my credit for the past couple years.  My current score is about 590-600 (FICO 8) or about 640 (FICO 9/Vantage) across all 3 bureaus.  I believe the difference between the two is due to paid collections resulting in a higher score.  AAoA between 1 and 2 years, with numerous installment loans and bank/store cards with perfect, if short, histories.  Utilization is about 30%, mostly due to low limits, and some cards are at 0%.

As far as baddies go, I still have one chargeoff from First Premier from 2013 showing a $400 balance.  All the other chargeoffs/collection accounts (there are only a few) now show $0 balances.

For the first time in years, I've received a mailer for a prime card: Discover.  I've read through all the fine print and nowhere does the letter say I'm prequalified.  Is this just a generic invitation to apply, or is it worth pulling the trigger?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
schsa210
Established Contributor

Re: Discover mailer - worth a try?

Was the mailer addressed to you or "our neighbor", "resident", or?  And there were no instructions telling you to go a website and enter the code provided?

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would very likely get a denial.

Message 3 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

It was addressed to me specifically, with a website and phone number to reply, along with a specific invitation number to use.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You would very likely get a denial.

+1

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

It was addressed to me specifically, with a website and phone number to reply, along with a specific invitation number to use.

Sorry but that isn't a preapproval in any form and the invitation number is just a marketing ploy.  With the Fico scores you listed, you'll most likely be denied as CapTool mentioned above.

Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I've been rebuilding my credit for the past couple years.  My current score is about 590-600 (FICO 8) or about 640 (FICO 9/Vantage) across all 3 bureaus.  I believe the difference between the two is due to paid collections resulting in a higher score.  AAoA between 1 and 2 years, with numerous installment loans and bank/store cards with perfect, if short, histories.  Utilization is about 30%, mostly due to low limits, and some cards are at 0%.

As far as baddies go, I still have one chargeoff from First Premier from 2013 showing a $400 balance.  All the other chargeoffs/collection accounts (there are only a few) now show $0 balances.

For the first time in years, I've received a mailer for a prime card: Discover.  I've read through all the fine print and nowhere does the letter say I'm prequalified.  Is this just a generic invitation to apply, or is it worth pulling the trigger?

Sorry to disappoint you but it's nothing.

And your scores at this point are probably not sufficient to get a Discover card.

So just be patient.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 10
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

Discover mailers are bogus. I wouldn't do it. 

Message 8 of 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

rule of thumb with Discover is there should be a specific APR listed not a range.  it may or may not have a 0% period depending on your profile though.  if it doesn't say your APR will be 22.0% or something along those lines just save yourself the disappointment.  

i got several mailers showing a 12.99% APR and blew it off until they didn't stop sending them and applied online w/o using the invite number and did get an approval instantly and then they started sending more invites for 10.99% because something dropped off my CR's jumping my score about 70 points across all reports.

Message 9 of 10
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I agree with everyone, it's bogus. I got one in the mail last april and applied thinking the same thing that I have arrived, but nope I was declined. Was really pissed too!

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.