Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover maximum CL without docs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover maximum CL without docs

I don't have that problem yet, so I'm not sure about the specific details. It would depend on the person's credit profile and utilization patterns, but presumably if you're getting limits over 40k it's not a bad thing, just somethingn to be aware of.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is a large generalization, but IMO the majority of people with $40k-$50k type limits are the type of people that PIF every month... which is one of the good behaviors/habits that has allowed them to grow their limit(s) considerably.

That said, "utilization" to these people is usually a non-factor as they rarely carry balances, and if they do they will never be significant [with respect to a monster CL].  Someone with a $50k limit can let a $4900 balance report one month and they are still in golden, single-digit utilization and could even let a balance of $14,500 report and it would still be considered "good" utilization at 29%. 

Message 12 of 18
heychrisbaker
New Contributor

I just got an increase form $34k to $37k after 91 days.  I opened the card in May 2014 with $7,500  I can't wait to get to the $50k mark. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would really like to read more about this phenomena of high-limit cards affecting utilization differently.  Anyone have any source documents, threads, rumors, innuendo?

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thread linked above is 6 years old.  Are we to know for sure if FICO scoring with respect to high limit accounts and utilization is the same today as it was 6 years ago?

Message 16 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

50k is suppose to be magic number now where utilization isn't factored in..  Would have to search for linkie.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I guess stopping at $49k would be the move for some Smiley Happy

I guess the overall percentage of people with $50k+ cards is quite small in the grand scheme of things.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.