cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

Just checked CreditKarma and they reported AGAIN just 3 days after the last time. Balance is up higher. This is getting weird.

Message 11 of 22
djrez4
Established Contributor

I've heard of Discover doing that as well.  

My Discover card finally appeared today on Experian only, one day after my cycle closed.  I activated it on 8/2.  I find it mighty convenient that it reports right after I make an emergency plane ticket purchase that bumps my utilization up to 23% on that card.  I paid it in full this morning.  Let's see if they mid-cycle report the $0 balance!

Message 12 of 22
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

So I called Discover today to see what's going on. Apparently asking for a CLI can trigger an update with the CBs. I attempted a CLI through a rep on the 20th and that triggered the first update. Then on the 24th, Discover blocked one of my transactions thinking it was fraud. It wasn't, and I contacted them to straighten it out, but it apparently triggered the second update.

Looks like next month I'll be requesting a CLI again on the first day I have a zero balance!

Message 13 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I opened my Discover card on 9/13. It's barely reporting account open on my CR TODAY 9/28! I made a purchase on it and I paid it before the statement closed...no statement was made for activity and Discover is reporting I still have a balance!!!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 14 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

Discover fed an off-cycle report on me yesterday with a balance increase. Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 22
distantarray
Established Contributor

it's not that big of a deal imo, just find the day or two before they reported the change, mark that day on the calender and pay few days before, don't use the card for a few days done! 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 16 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

My Discover card is always doing this. My account balance is now 0 and it hasn't even updated yet on my credit report! Wth.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 17 of 22
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I want a Discover card and plan to app for it in march but this ult issue of mid-cycle reporting is a real inconvience unless you have 5 figure limits in total. Won't stop me from going after the card but I will have to adjust my spending habits so that the card is paid off a couple days after a purchase. Or I'll have to alternate using cards from month to month in order to avoid ult concerns during a month when I might need to use my credit.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 18 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

@MountainHiker wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I want a Discover card and plan to app for it in march but this ult issue of mid-cycle reporting is a real inconvience unless you have 5 figure limits in total. Won't stop me from going after the card but I will have to adjust my spending habits so that the card is paid off a couple days after a purchase. Or I'll have to alternate using cards from month to month in order to avoid ult concerns during a month when I might need to use my credit.

Or, push a payment from your bank before making the purchases. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 22
LilNYC
New Contributor

You can dispute the current balance with the credit beuraus. I've done it with all 3 when my accounts updated before my payments posted. Just go to thevwebsites for EX, EQ, & TU ; click on the link for online disputes, select the credit card account you want to dispute. The page that pops up after that has a drop down menu that lets you select "incorrect balance.” TU & EQ corrected my balances within 2 days but EX took a full 7 days.
Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.