Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems

Re: Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

Just checked CreditKarma and they reported AGAIN just 3 days after the last time. Balance is up higher. This is getting weird.

Established Contributor
djrez4

I've heard of Discover doing that as well.  

My Discover card finally appeared today on Experian only, one day after my cycle closed.  I activated it on 8/2.  I find it mighty convenient that it reports right after I make an emergency plane ticket purchase that bumps my utilization up to 23% on that card.  I paid it in full this morning.  Let's see if they mid-cycle report the $0 balance!

Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems

So I called Discover today to see what's going on. Apparently asking for a CLI can trigger an update with the CBs. I attempted a CLI through a rep on the 20th and that triggered the first update. Then on the 24th, Discover blocked one of my transactions thinking it was fraud. It wasn't, and I contacted them to straighten it out, but it apparently triggered the second update.

Looks like next month I'll be requesting a CLI again on the first day I have a zero balance!

Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

I opened my Discover card on 9/13. It's barely reporting account open on my CR TODAY 9/28! I made a purchase on it and I paid it before the statement closed...no statement was made for activity and Discover is reporting I still have a balance!!!

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 758 (EQ) 741 (EX) 768 (TU) 8/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Discover (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Blogger
HiLine

Discover fed an off-cycle report on me yesterday with a balance increase. :smileysad:

Established Contributor
distantarray

it's not that big of a deal imo, just find the day or two before they reported the change, mark that day on the calender and pay few days before, don't use the card for a few days done! 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

My Discover card is always doing this. My account balance is now 0 and it hasn't even updated yet on my credit report! Wth.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 758 (EQ) 741 (EX) 768 (TU) 8/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Discover (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Established Contributor
MountainHiker

SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I want a Discover card and plan to app for it in march but this ult issue of mid-cycle reporting is a real inconvience unless you have 5 figure limits in total. Won't stop me from going after the card but I will have to adjust my spending habits so that the card is paid off a couple days after a purchase. Or I'll have to alternate using cards from month to month in order to avoid ult concerns during a month when I might need to use my credit.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Blogger
HiLine

MountainHiker wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I want a Discover card and plan to app for it in march but this ult issue of mid-cycle reporting is a real inconvience unless you have 5 figure limits in total. Won't stop me from going after the card but I will have to adjust my spending habits so that the card is paid off a couple days after a purchase. Or I'll have to alternate using cards from month to month in order to avoid ult concerns during a month when I might need to use my credit.

Or, push a payment from your bank before making the purchases. :smileywink:

New Contributor
LilNYC

You can dispute the current balance with the credit beuraus. I've done it with all 3 when my accounts updated before my payments posted. Just go to thevwebsites for EX, EQ, & TU ; click on the link for online disputes, select the credit card account you want to dispute. The page that pops up after that has a drop down menu that lets you select "incorrect balance.” TU & EQ corrected my balances within 2 days but EX took a full 7 days.
Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+