Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover miles for rent

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover miles for rent

Hey All,

As some of you know, ive been really wanting the discover miles card to pay rent. Cashback on that would be great. Visa is a $62 fee, but if I paid with discover, it was like 3 or 4 bucks. Paid rent today, the fee for discover and mastercard now 30 something dollars. Soooo, I guess I probably won't be going for this card soon. Fee too high to really profit from paying rent. I still like it though, but think maybe I wont rush now.

I've heard of people talking about paying rent or mortgages through other services so they can still use credit. Any ideas for that? Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover miles for rent

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

As some of you know, ive been really wanting the discover miles card to pay rent. Cashback on that would be great. Visa is a $62 fee, but if I paid with discover, it was like 3 or 4 bucks. Paid rent today, the fee for discover and mastercard now 30 something dollars. Soooo, I guess I probably won't be going for this card soon. Fee too high to really profit from paying rent. I still like it though, but think maybe I wont rush now.

I've heard of people talking about paying rent or mortgages through other services so they can still use credit. Any ideas for that? Thanks!

Usually these services are only useful for meeting minimum spend (or if you value points highly).   With 3% for the first year with the Miles card, you might be slightly ahead, but not once the reward drops to 1.5

Plastiq (2.5%) doesn't seem to take Discover anyway, (A/M/V)

Radpad does take discover, but charges 2.99% so even first year gains would be really minimal!

How much is your rent?  $30 might be worth it if the rent is enough

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may have been mistaken om the fee the whole time. Can't believe it. It appears to be a percentage. Fee changes as I increase my payment. Today, I paid $1126. This number changes based on water usage. The fee is $36.72, for that payment. Not worth it. Would be losing money or just breaking even, depending on the amt. That's a bummer.

I'd still like this card. Just need to wait until I have more use for it.
Message 3 of 6
Aahz
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

Usually these services are only useful for meeting minimum spend (or if you value points highly).   With 3% for the first year with the Miles card, you might be slightly ahead, but not once the reward drops to 1.5

Radpad does take discover, but charges 2.99% so even first year gains would be really minimal!

RadPad stopped accepting rent payments back in October.

Message 4 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

BTW Plastiq just started taking discover last month.

Message 5 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

BTW Plastiq just started taking discover last month.

Oh, OK.  I had just looked at their front page and they show only A//M/V and I  assumed that meant no Discover.  Good that they expanded

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.