Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover-never give up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover-never give up

Well, a year ago I was rather app-happy as a result of a tempting CSP preapproval.  I bit on it and overspent to get the bonus.  I did get a nice alto sax and played it in a pit orchestra for $200 and went to a jazz camp in Alaska last summer.  Now it just sits in a case and is on its way to Arizona.  Because of this forum that I found 18 months ago and someone appropriately named creditaddict (I am too-an addict of many stripes) I joined NFCU and got a Cash Rewards card but no line of credit due to way too much home equity debt.  Then I picked up a AMEX everday card to get 0% financing on my mom's dentures (I paid it off in two months).  I received lots of offers during the first half of last year and wanted to go for them all, especially Citibank's double cash but I held off until Discover showed up at the door.  I had never received an offer before and heard good things about it.  It had a range of low interest rates offered and I applied.  It was a bad experience.  They did not offer me the terms on the promo but counteroffered with a $1K limit and 23% interest.  I was not pleased but since I had already pulled my credit I took the card.  I signed an opt-out agreement and stopped getting offers in the mail last summer.  The apps ended until today when I bought my car.

It has turned out to be a pretty rewarding experience.  I qualified for the double cash offer during the first year and have received several line increases.  I didn't get one in April (my first denial since getting the card last June) but today another $1500 was added.  Now I am over $7000 CL which ranks behind my everday ($15K) and NFCU cash rewards ($10K).  I also have a CSP ($5k) and an AMEX senior gold with a pay over time option ($35K max at 19%).  I have usable balance transfer offers on the discover which is why I want to build a good credit line with them, just in case.  It is my main card, especially now with the 5% dining.  I eat out a lot.  It will probably be mothballed after the 1 year double cash expires in a couple of weeks but I could still use it for the 5% amazon, better than the 3% I get on my 500 limit Amazon Visa that I really should cancel.  I get the TU fico on discover too which is nice.  My overall utilization is 0%.  I use and pay immediately most of the time.  

Today I bought a new car at 0% interest, so I had to give up my gold spade for awhile.  My next goal is to try to keep my home equity line monthly payment fixed and manageable.  I owe a lot ($109K) due to some foolishness I did many years ago.   I paid a lot for my mistakes but I have worked hard to make my life at 55 better than it was in my younger days.  Too bad I couldn't learn the lessons sooner.  Maybe my experience can help younger folks here not make the same errors I did.  Watch out for gambling and credit card spending problems...I've done it all.  My wrecked credit now sports 700-720 scores, but I went through Hell to get here.

If you have a discover, hang in there.  I am one of the people who have done well with the card after starting slowly.  If you don't have it, life goes on.  I guess they are unpredicable and there are many options.  

Take care.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover-never give up

Nicely done!  Congrats on your progress and inspiring story! Smiley Happy

I'm a late(ish) bloomer as well so thanks for sharing!

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Good progress but you need to consider your spend and how you're spreading it over multiple rewards programs like Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards.  Generally speaking, just one of these programs requires signfiicant spend.  Also make sure you're carefully researching redemptions before apoplying for cards in such programs as the redemption methods you can leverage can have a significant impact on rewards value.  Don't look at just the earn rates.  Run the numbers for your spend all the way form earning to redemption as part of your due diligence.  Even with cash back cards make sure you're running the number for your spend to hlep you in your decision making.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, a year ago I was rather app-happy as a result of a tempting CSP preapproval.  I bit on it and overspent to get the bonus.  I did get a nice alto sax and played it in a pit orchestra for $200 and went to a jazz camp in Alaska last summer.  Now it just sits in a case and is on its way to Arizona.  Because of this forum that I found 18 months ago and someone appropriately named creditaddict (I am too-an addict of many stripes) I joined NFCU and got a Cash Rewards card but no line of credit due to way too much home equity debt.  Then I picked up a AMEX everday card to get 0% financing on my mom's dentures (I paid it off in two months).  I received lots of offers during the first half of last year and wanted to go for them all, especially Citibank's double cash but I held off until Discover showed up at the door.  I had never received an offer before and heard good things about it.  It had a range of low interest rates offered and I applied.  It was a bad experience.  They did not offer me the terms on the promo but counteroffered with a $1K limit and 23% interest.  I was not pleased but since I had already pulled my credit I took the card.  I signed an opt-out agreement and stopped getting offers in the mail last summer.  The apps ended until today when I bought my car.

It has turned out to be a pretty rewarding experience.  I qualified for the double cash offer during the first year and have received several line increases.  I didn't get one in April (my first denial since getting the card last June) but today another $1500 was added.  Now I am over $7000 CL which ranks behind my everday ($15K) and NFCU cash rewards ($10K).  I also have a CSP ($5k) and an AMEX senior gold with a pay over time option ($35K max at 19%).  I have usable balance transfer offers on the discover which is why I want to build a good credit line with them, just in case.  It is my main card, especially now with the 5% dining.  I eat out a lot.  It will probably be mothballed after the 1 year double cash expires in a couple of weeks but I could still use it for the 5% amazon, better than the 3% I get on my 500 limit Amazon Visa that I really should cancel.  I get the TU fico on discover too which is nice.  My overall utilization is 0%.  I use and pay immediately most of the time.  

Today I bought a new car at 0% interest, so I had to give up my gold spade for awhile.  My next goal is to try to keep my home equity line monthly payment fixed and manageable.  I owe a lot ($109K) due to some foolishness I did many years ago.   I paid a lot for my mistakes but I have worked hard to make my life at 55 better than it was in my younger days.  Too bad I couldn't learn the lessons sooner.  Maybe my experience can help younger folks here not make the same errors I did.  Watch out for gambling and credit card spending problems...I've done it all.  My wrecked credit now sports 700-720 scores, but I went through Hell to get here.

If you have a discover, hang in there.  I am one of the people who have done well with the card after starting slowly.  If you don't have it, life goes on.  I guess they are unpredicable and there are many options.  

Take care.

Thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on your progress!

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.