cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover no longer issuing non-EMV designs?

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover no longer issuing non-EMV designs?

@Anonymous wrote:
The stores I go to around here usually bag your items for you (and put them back in the cart, if you went into the checkout line with one). This just means that you're waiting for the receipt at the card reader instead of the very end of the checkout line with your bags. +/- a couple of seconds to read the chip, of course.

So there are two employees at each register? One to scan the items, and the other to sack? That costs money; guess who's paying for it. I see that at many stores. Never at Walmart though.  If the same single employee has to scan and sack, you have to wait for all that _after_ they're done scanning all your items.  And this is why they're too busy to notice that you have stuck your card in the slot.  Too busy to press that Credit button, so you wait.  And wait.

As an aside, many of the non-Walmart grocery stores around here also have employees walk the cart out to your car with you.  Talk about a waste of resources.  I'm not an old man yet.  I can handle a shopping cart myself, thank you very much.  I mean somehow I drove this thing through all 20 aisles in the store, but now getting it to the parking lot is going to be too hard?

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most often gas pumps and ATMs are physically compromised by adding a second megstrip reader that copies the track data. There are more advanced methods, but typically still involve physical access to the gas pump or ATM.

Ram scrapers is rogue software inserted into point of sale devices, many of which are full-featured computers that can be easily infected remotely over the internet.

As for what one can do to minimum their risk:

* When pumping gas, pay inside first. Don't use the outside card reader. While inside pos could be compromised too, the odds are somewhat less.

* Use in-the-wall ATMs at major banks. Avoid free-standing ATMs, such as at convenience stores. Minimize use of ATMs in general.

* Avoid using debit cards and checks unless absolutely necessary. Use credit cards whenever possible or cash (comes with its own risks; losing it, being mugged, etc).

Wal-Mart is far ahead of the curve when it comes to security. I'd trust using my cards, even debit, there far more than I would at many other retailers.

Message 22 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

@nyancat wrote:
Perhaps you would like to pay the fraud costs next time? It's not at all unreasonable to expect you to cooperate with basic security measures.

I would be happy to cooperate with basic security measures.  Actually I will not have a choice anyway.  I would just like them to have designed this so that you could insert it and then immediately remove it.  That's all I ask.  Too late now.  The way it is now, the way it will be stuck for the next xx years, absolutely bites.

Cool? It's not a hassle to await  few seconds of your life....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The stores I go to around here usually bag your items for you (and put them back in the cart, if you went into the checkout line with one). This just means that you're waiting for the receipt at the card reader instead of the very end of the checkout line with your bags. +/- a couple of seconds to read the chip, of course.

So there are two employees at each register? One to scan the items, and the other to sack? That costs money; guess who's paying for it. I see that at many stores. Never at Walmart though.  If the same single employee has to scan and sack, you have to wait for all that _after_ they're done scanning all your items.  And this is why they're too busy to notice that you have stuck your card in the slot.

As an aside, many of the non-Walmart grocery stores around here also have employees walk the cart out to your car with you.  Talk about a waste of resources.  I'm not an old man yet.  I can handle a shopping cart myself, thank you very much.

Safeway/Vons doesn't even have chip capable readers here yet and if it's busy there's usually a bagger as well as the checkout person. I don't think stores are adding additional people just because of the chip. Yes, upgrading costs money and if the store doesn't think it's worthwhile to do so they're within their rights to not bother. I also think a lot of smaller places who made that decision will be in for a rude awakening in a couple of months though.

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most often gas pumps and ATMs are physically compremised by adding a second megstrip reader that copies the track data. There are more advanced methods, but typically still involve physical access to the gas pump or ATM.

Ram scrapers is rogue software inserted into point of sale devices, many of which are full-featured computers that can be easily infected remotely over the internet.

* When pumping gas, pay inside first. Don't use the outside card reader. While inside pos could be compremised too, the odds are somewhat less.

* Use in-the-wall ATMs at major banks. Avoid free-standing ATMs, such as at convenience stores. Minimize use of ATMs in general.

* Avoid using debit cards and checks unless absolutely necessary. Use credit cards whenever possible or cash (comes with its own risks; losing it, being mugged, etc).

Wal-Mart is far ahead of the curve when it comes to security. I'd trust using my cards, even debit, there far more than I would at many other retailers.

but some credit card company only give you cashback bonus for paying at the pump, not at the register Smiley Frustrated

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most often gas pumps and ATMs are physically compromised by adding a second megstrip reader that copies the track data. There are more advanced methods, but typically still involve physical access to the gas pump or ATM.

* When pumping gas, pay inside first. Don't use the outside card reader. While inside pos could be compromised too, the odds are somewhat less.

Thanks so much!  Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 35
grneydangl
Frequent Contributor

Since I have a Discover It that does not have the chip, I may not understand... but the Capital One Venture One card I have has the chip and the strip.  Do the new Discover cards ONLY have the chip?

Message 27 of 35
nyancat
Established Contributor

No they have a stripe and work almost everywhere. His complaint is speed not compatibility. The answer is contactless. Fast and secure. But American banks largely refuse to offer it
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 28 of 35
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nyancat wrote:
No they have a stripe and work almost everywhere. His complaint is speed not compatibility. The answer is contactless. Fast and secure. But American banks largely refuse to offer it

With how quickly many of the major lenders tripped over themselves to support Apple Pay, is this really that far out?

        
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember when the UK moved to Chip and PIN and tons of people complained. Different banks took different amounts of time to process transactions when the card was in the reader. AmEx was the fastest. Then contactless came out for purchases less than £20.

Now people in the UK don't know a time before that. Although it was a pain when visiting India, they had chip and pin terminals and only have stripe cards in that country. One guy said my card was declined, I called my bank and they said they never received the purchase. I then went and saw he swiped it and it said insert card, and he probably couldn't read and kept swiping. I inserted the card and his face was shocked, he probably thought I was doing some voodoo.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.