Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover normally do this?

tag
Covet
Established Member

Discover normally do this?

I have a collections from 2007, paid it off the same year.

2 installment accounts that were started in 2008 for 24 month contracts that I paid off in 2009 (much less than 2 years).

Got an HSBC secured card for $500 in Jun of last year (2011).

Open an installment account for 3600 in July of the same year.

Time passes, grab a CapOne card (easy) and a Chase Freedom card (pain, had to Recon) on the 5th of Feb.  That pushes my inquiries to 9...

And Discover (which I applied for the next day)  gives me a card with a 7500 limit.

The cap one is 500, and the Chase is 1000 (chase can see my bank statements)... that normal?  I honestly dont' care, but it just surprised the hell out of me.

I'll obviously drop the CapOne (before I even get the thing), but keep the chase (hell, it is my bank), but why would Discover give me (much more) than the limits that I have for the cap one card?  And better terms to boot...

And better than my own bank...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover normally do this?

If its like with my chase CC they looked at my overall EXISTING credit limit when determining what they were going to give me.

I went round with Chase for weeks before they finally admitted that I have WAY too much available credit (I am also an AU on all of my wifes cards) and so they decided that $500 was all they were willing to risk.

The wife got her card from Chase and because she isnt an AU on most of my cards her total credit limit is lower so Chase gave her a $5000 limit.

Typically our Credit scores differ by about 2-10 points.

Message 2 of 3
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Re: Discover normally do this?

Who knows. I had something similar happen...my highest CL's at the time were $500 on 2 Cap1 cards and a CU card; I applied for Bank of America's student card (where I bank) and got $800 CL. Applied for Barclays and after two recons and a little finesse, managed to squeeze a $500 CL out of them. Applied for Citi Dividend....approved for $4,000 CL. 

I also got a Zync with NPSL during this time. Who knows why they do what they do lol..it doesn't make sense to many people. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.