cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover offering 5% cashback on gas and ground transportation???? WOW!

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Discover offering 5% cashback on gas and ground transportation???? WOW!

@Fico2Go wrote:

It just keeps getting better with Discover. 

It wasn't too long ago when they were running 5% cashback on gas purchases. 

Next month they're making it even sweeter by including gas, ground transport, taxis, even car rental. 

Unfortunately it comes with a $1500 cap per quarter.

Yes extra catagory. Outstanding. Another 1500 in gas. Getting my card reAdy. 

Message 11 of 26
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of a wasted category for me. I'll just stick with the Sallie Mae gas cards. 

Agree, plus the fact that Disco will find some sort of weasel to not pay:

You're signed up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases in gas (at stand-alone gas stations)...Ground transportation purchases made through travel agencies or travel aggregator sites are not eligible. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible.

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both Discover It and Chase Freedom will have the gas bonus in Q1.  It's nice that Discover is including taxi and car rentals.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's exactly what I remember as well. Hopefully the categories will be less homogenous in years to come but I do agree that despite the overlap, Discover has gotten better with its categories the past few years.

Message 14 of 26
Maximuss
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both Discover It and Chase Freedom will have the gas bonus in Q1.  It's nice that Discover is including taxi and car rentals.

Freedom will be groceries, theaters and Starbucks if i remember correctly. So no overlap

Message 15 of 26
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Starbucks? Interesting.

So now Chase is moving from category spending to specific retailer? Good bye Groupon. Hello 5% Cashback for 3 months.
Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 16 of 26
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Didn't Discover announce their Q1 categories first? If anything, Chase is copying them.

Message 17 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:
Starbucks? Interesting.

So now Chase is moving from category spending to specific retailer? Good bye Groupon. Hello 5% Cashback for 3 months.

It was Starbucks last year as well, this retailer specific isn't new, probably cheaper for them!

Message 18 of 26
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Ugh, this whole thing could just be resolved if Discover and Chase formed a pseudo-alliance to plan out their 5% calendars together to maximize profit for the both of them. And possibly a triple-alliance with Barclays to never offer gas/groceries as a category Smiley Very Happy

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 19 of 26
Capya
New Contributor

Q1                                                     Q2                                           Q3                                          Q4

Freedom        Groceries, Movies, Starbucks                  Restaurants                                Gas                                      Amazon

Discover              Gas & Ground Transport                      Food & Fun                     Summer Spruce Up              Holiday Shopping

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.