Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover offering Secure Online Account #s for shopping

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover offering Secure Online Account #s for shopping

Not sure if this is new or not, as I'm only a few months into the Discover family. I just got an email about this from Discover, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Apparently, they also are offering those temporary account numbers to use for shopping online. Like how Citibank has been offering their customers.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover offering Secure Online Account #s for shopping

I saw that on their site but have only had my Discover card for, ooh, six days, so have no idea how new or not it is. I'm a bit confused by it, to be honest, although it does sound like a VERY good idea! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And just to give this a bump, I used the secure online account number thing last night for the first time. I get it now - you can generate as many secure numbers as you want, and once you've used one, it can't be used with another retailer - so even if someone does manage to get hold of the number via internet dodginess, there's not much they can do with it.

That was also my first time using ShopDiscover - it was great! I'd been Googling to try to find some possibly-long-discontinued foundation, and found that Drugstore.com carried it. I almost ordered, then thought 'wait... maybe one of those ShopDiscover retailers has it. Then discovered that Drugstore.com IS one of those ShopDiscover retailers. So I'm now getting 10% cashback for my troubles - woohoo! Smiley Very Happy

Discover, me likey.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is not new. BoA have the same called "Shopsafe" and i have been using it for about a year now. it`s
Message 4 of 6
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Back around 2001, Discover introduced an early version of a secured card number generator.  You could download it from their website and then enter you discover card number and hit generate and ii would create a one store use account number that would only work at the same merchant that first used it.  I use to use it all the time for my online purchases and I thought back then that Discover was unique in offering such a service.

Now I lost my Discover Card in 2003 for non payment when I was out of work for a long time.  But the way some of the posts on this lately have seemed, it almost sounds as if Discover stopped using them for awhile or something.

Message Edited by Miner on 09-27-2008 11:07 AM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

While true it can be only used at the original retailer this would not protect you if there is in house shady business practices. You cannot set a amount limit so they can process additional transactions at will.

However you can call Discover up after a successful transaction and have them disable that number from future use.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.