Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover on Apple Pay 9/16 - 10% Cashback Bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover on Apple Pay 9/16 - 10% Cashback Bonus

For what it's worth I have had no problems with Discover and Apple Pay once I upgraded to 9.0 final. 9.0 GM locked up a vending machine at work though. I've really only used it at work and at Walgreens though.

Message 421 of 620
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, shocked apple pay let me add a discover card to a friends phone. And for the transaction, it worked!  Bought a decent size gift card from Lowe's.  Hopefully the 15% gets doubled to 30.

Also waiting for big influx of iphone 6's to snag one cheap. I would love to find a beat up one with a crack in the screen that still works. Lol.

Oooh, Lowe's takes ApplePay?! I missed that one. Added to my list of places to stop today, thanks! 

Message 422 of 620
thecheese
Established Member

@Open123 wrote:

If the 20% is confirmed, I may just opt to pick up some VZ version iPhones.  I'm assuming, the VZ version is still the only ones that are both compatible with CDMA and GSM?

All versions of the iPhones are compatible with all networks these days.

Message 423 of 620
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone explain to me logsticially if my plan to buy an iphone off eBay after 9/25 would work?

After 9/25 their will be a  major influx of used iphone 6 on eBay, I will buy one. Then use it to preorder an iphone 6s with Apple Pay when that option is available. (Preoders have stopped at all my local stores.) During that time, I will use my iphone 6 for apple pay discounts. When I receive my 6s, I'm guessing in November or December, I will sell my iPhone 6.

I didn't go all the way through the process since what I think I may want isn't available, but it doesn't look like it's going to ask for payment upon pre-order. There are 6s (no plus) available (16GB, limited colors) avail to pre-order at a local store and I went all the way to the last step and it doesn't ask for a card. It has you sign in with your apple id so it may put a hold on the card you have attached to your appleid, but I doubt it. 

I know this doesn't 100% apply to you if all orders have stopped for your local stores, but the point is that at least NOW it looks like you wouldn't have to have an iphone to pre-order, only when you pay. So I think, in your situation, pre-order away whenever you can. 

Now for me...at this point I'm SOL. I have a 6+. I've had pangs where I wish I had a 6, but not enough to go for a 6s instead of a 6s+. Not sure what/when/how I can do something to reserve/buy a 6s+. (And I'm still not 100%, I just realized I should have reserved one and I always could have blown it off. Oops.) 

1) You are trying to Pay With ApplePay through the iPhone Apple Store App.

2) It insists on payment at the time of pre-order.

3) Discover does not work in the Apple Store App, for any Apple Pay purchases. I know this because I went through the pre-order sequence, all the way to using ApplePay to pay for the phone (required). All the other 7 cards in my ApplePay were available to make the payment, the Discover card was specifically in a separate grouping that said "you can't use Discover for In App purchases".

4) Discover's 10% promo says "in store purchases" only.

Finally, the idea of pre-ordering the iPhone 6s, not paying for it immediately, and then thinking they will give you the phone when you get there, allow you to open the box, go through the activation, setup your iTunes access, add credit cards to your iPhone, accept the text verification code that Discover requires you to key into the Apple Pay app to finally activate the Discover card on your iPhone 6s, and then after all that, try to pay for the 6S with the 6S you just activated...

not gonna happen Smiley Happy

To anon123: You might want to think through the logistics of this idea. You may get back up to $80 for the iPhone 6s purchase. You will have spent a bunch on an iPhone 6, and to re-sell it, you will incur ebay costs and paypal fees and shipping fees to get it to your customer. There will be activation fees for two phones on your existing cell plan. You may find that you can get enough extra 10% cash back during the interim to cover these costs, but I doubt it Smiley Happy

If the bolded part was directed to me, I've got a 6+. I would have paid with the 6+ when I picked it up. But as I said, I didn't go through the process all the way (website, not app) but up to the part that I chose a store, it hadn't asked for payment so I wasn't sure it would. 

Message 424 of 620
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Yesterday, tried Discover Apple pay at 3 other Walgreens, and were all unable to finish the transaction, though they were all approved by Discvoer.  In the past, these all worked with Amex Apple Pay.

The peculiar thing is that with one Walgreens, Discover Apple Pays worked.  So, in the Bay Area, at least for the moment, I'm 1 for 4.  Strange, since they all seem to be running the same POS hardware/system.

I tried it at a local grocery store that takes ApplePay. It kept getting in a loop asking whether this was Debit, Credit, EBT, or some other, then would lock and not proceed. Cashier and I had to try 4 times to get something different, never worked. I used my AMEX Hilton card for 5 points off ApplePay instead.

I think the deal is:

"Discover will give you 10% cash back if you can find a store that:

1) Takes Discover and

2) Takes Apple Pay and

3) The store has updated their ApplePay interface to recognize Discover".

In my opinion, this is nearly a null set, thus Discover is not going to be paying out a lot of 10% bonuses.

That's a very interesting theory. I wonder if that will be the case! That's why I'm sticking to doing the normal spending and let the chips fall where they may. I'm not going to spend $10K extra to get a 'possible' $2K in return. If 2011 is right and it is two statements we almost won't be able to tell if our purchases are earning before the deal is up. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 425 of 620
thecheese
Established Member

Just FYI, I added my Discover card to Apple Pay on the first day it was available. My first couple transactions would not go through at a store where my other Apple Pay cards would. A couple days later I deleted the card, re-added it and haven't had an issue since.

Message 426 of 620
Open123
Super Contributor

@thecheese wrote:

Just FYI, I added my Discover card to Apple Pay on the first day it was available. My first couple transactions would not go through at a store where my other Apple Pay cards would. A couple days later I deleted the card, re-added it and haven't had an issue since.

Ok, gonna try this.  Thanks!

Message 427 of 620
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

To anon123: You might want to think through the logistics of this idea. You may get back up to $80 for the iPhone 6s purchase. You will have spent a bunch on an iPhone 6, and to re-sell it, you will incur ebay costs and paypal fees and shipping fees to get it to your customer. There will be activation fees for two phones on your existing cell plan. You may find that you can get enough extra 10% cash back during the interim to cover these costs, but I doubt it Smiley Happy

Why won't Discover pay me the $160 for the iphone purchase? Won't the $80 be doubled? I will be expecting to lose $100 on the cost of acquiring an iphone 6 and selling. No activation fees on phones. I'm on the Tmobile already with their $30 ($25 after some special discounts) prepaid plan. Smiley Very Happy

I don't mind keeping the iPhone 6s. I actually have one preordered. But thinking of selling this one first for +$100. But have the option of using it to buy another iphone 6s by apple pay and returning it and paying the restocking fee. I could also use it to preder an Apply 6s with Apple Pay and selling it used.

Message 428 of 620
Anonymous
Not applicable

for all curious verizon takes NFC but not apple pay. tried today and wouldn't work so asked an associate and he said nope.
Message 429 of 620
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
for all curious verizon takes NFC but not apple pay. tried today and wouldn't work so asked an associate and he said nope.

You sure it's not a Discover specific problem like what others here have seen at other places? He probably said "no" because no one tried it before.

Message 430 of 620
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.