Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover or Amex?

tag
alkaline
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover or Amex?

In my case, Discover hates me and Amex loves me. $25000 with a 7.24% APR with my BCE, $4350 with a 13.49% APR with my Discover it. I use my BCE almost exclusively (phone bill goes on the Ink Cash). Love you Amex Heart

Message 31 of 43
Kidcat
Established Contributor

All of the pros and cons of both lenders have been addressed pretty extensively.  

One thing with Amex vs. Discover is that with Amex you can usually find a card that will fit your spend, and what you are looking for in terms or MR, cash back, hotel points and they have a lot of card partners (Hilton, Delta, SPG etc).  With Discover your only option is cash back (I realize they have a travel card, but don't see or hear much about it).  

If travel is your thing then Amex just has more options.  Also with Discover the double cash back is great if you are on that promo.  But once it's over you have to analyze the categories, and Discover deals.

I have both by the way.  Use both, but really only use Discover for category spend.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thread here. From my research, it definitely seems like Discover and AmEx are the best when it comes to CLI's. Discover isn't so great at the awards game though...although that $30 WiFi credit on the Miles card is appealing.

Message 33 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

Kidcat wrote:Use both, but really only use Discover for category spend.

Unless there's some kind of promo, I fail to see why anyone would spend on the card for 1% cashback.  Moreover, unless one needs for padding purposes, I fail to see why anyone would need any CL above $5K on Disc, since the 5% is capped at $1,500.

Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Kidcat wrote:Use both, but really only use Discover for category spend.

Unless there's some kind of promo, I fail to see why anyone would spend on the card for 1% cashback.  Moreover, unless one needs for padding purposes, I fail to see why anyone would need any CL above $5K on Disc, since the 5% is capped at $1,500.

It's a good starter card. Not many other banks you can get a high limit fast with.

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anyone else other than Discover that allows you to redeem your cashback rewards for discounted gift cards? 

I remember Chase had 10% off select gift cards, but that was a couple of years ago.

Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I don't think anyone has said this yet, but it probably needs to be said. Why not get both?

Discover still has the double cash back promo going on, so it's basically a 2% card the first year, and on the quarterly 5% categories, it essentially becomes a 10% card, which is pretty sweet, imo.
Amex is great for 3x CLI every six months (assuming you qualify for a CLI) and their purchase protection/dispute resolution seems to be the best of all lenders.

I was considering both but figured since I added Ritz ,Sam's Club MC, and hopefully Marriott that I should probably only add 1 more or else it may look like too many cards at one time.   I just didn't wanna send out any red flags for any reason I guess.

I picked up some old mail from my old address and noticed Discover sent me  more stuff last week.   Also have another letter for the Amex ED card with no annual fee,15 month 0% apr, and $250 back after $1,000 spent in 3months. After that APR would be 13.24.

Is that a normal offer for the Amex ED?   Seems like I hear a lot of people speak highly of the BCP card.

Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to get some input and opinions on both lenders to hear what people think or have experienced so far with them.

I find both useful but recommend looking at the product, not creditor, level.  Consider specifics products that suit your needs/wants versus selecting a creditor first and then trying to justify a card from that creditor.  The specific cards I have from AmEx and Discover serve different purposes.  I wouldn't place one of these creditors over the other.

@Anonymous wrote:

Things like customer service, apr reductions,cli's, etc etc. 

Anecdotal evidence on CS isn't very useful IMO as anyone can have a good or bad CS experience with any company whether the company is generally regarded as having good CS or bad CS.  Things like APR reductions and CLI's are going to all depend on what your credit profile and income qualify for.  Yes, the creditor and product's underwriting requirements play a part but that's only part of the equation and profile and income also play significant roles.  I've had APR reductions and I have high limits with both of them.

Yea I understand that everyone can have different opinions based on their experience with each lender.  I just don't have a card from either of them currently so wanted to hear different stories (good and bad) that people have had with both.

It sounds like there are several similar things with both of them and other things that people prefer one or the other over.

Message 38 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to get some input and opinions on both lenders to hear what people think or have experienced so far with them.

Things like customer service, apr reductions,cli's, etc etc.   I'm not asking for someone to "pick a card" for me as I can determine what suits my needs.   I'm just curious to hear which one you like or if you have both then which one you have had the best experience with.

I don't have a card with either of them but may add 1 of them soon and the other next year.

I have both

4 amex 1 Discover 

CLI = Amex 3x beats all  YMMV

APR reduction = Amex 

Customer service = Discover 

Starting limits = Amex YMMV based on CR's ....in your case Amex 

Ability to move limits = Amex 

Warranty = Amex 

Score 5-1 

Winner Amex Smiley Wink

Hmm.

Let me add some then.

2x rewards: Discover (don't even start with the Apple Pay last year Smiley TonguePromo and how are you tracking this money? 

Ability to get 0% promo APR for 12 months 2 years after opening the card: Discover Promo

Cashback over retail counter without being hit by fees or AA: Discover Can be had with a Walmart card Lol

5x purchases tracking correctly (as in, Whole Foods will be a grocery store and Enterprise will be a car rental company for sure): Discover Not sure what you mean here vs what?Smiley Tongue  and what card are you using for rental Ins? 

Getting more than 1:1 for Gift cards, often 2:1 as well: Discover I need to know this trick do tell 

Not waiting 90 days to see the Cashback on your account: Discover ....90 days is a bit of a stretch now Lol but I see your month delay point 

Not required to send in income tax declarations just because you asked for CLI above $25k: Discover Both have asked for this Heck Cap1 is asking now Smiley Surprised .....also to note Discover can't go beyond the limit your spending limit is your only limit 

Forget 6 months, ability to ask for CLIs every 3 month or even less, and also getting it for SP: Discover Amex is a SP as well and chances are you'll end up with more in one haul with Amex Smiley Wink

The first to roll out free TU FICO scores: Discover but now AMEX offers EX so Tie. Heck Walmart and Barclay beat them and at that point really who needed or wanted another TU score Smiley LOL

One of the best smartphone and tablet apps with fantastic levels of functionality that kinda makes desktop redundant: Discover Agreed if that's your preferences 

However,

Good chunk of instant savings deals: AMEX........Good or huge compared to Discover? 

Ability to transfer to frequent traveller programs: AMEX.....@sometimes @ 2x value or more 

Soooo

Based on your points if you don't have a promo which Amex will offer at times

Basically Discover if used for all 5X cats gets you $300 a year give or take a few promos that are sure to end 

Your BCE and PRG give better earnings rate ....Lol Ooops that's Amex 

What I'm just sayinSmiley Very HappySmiley Tongue

Example

Last year I netted about $700 just from Amex deals (5) with little effort not counting anything from spend just deals .....Discover 2x promo you forgot that you won't see that for a year and you brought up a 90 day window .....Pls

You also have no way of tracking it either guess we'll just have to take their word for it or send in paperwork to flood the system and hope for the best.

We're already seeing cases of Discover and Amex I won't leave them out of not adding up correctly in some cases (add all the other lenders here)

Example Last year sent my mom flower (just because) used a Discover deal 15% oh wow off of $82 (good deal) 

Beacuse I have an account with the the florist used they (florist) applied a $5 discount from my last purchase 

Discover said oh you did pay full price so even tho you applied thur the link in your account we're not honoring your purchase 

FWIW ....the 15% was way more than $5 .....Winner of the go back on deal......Discover 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 39 of 43
Runitup
Regular Contributor

Just another n=1 sample size. I did an app spree this time last year that included BCP and Disco (and three others) with 800 plus FICO scores across the board and no utilization. SL for Disco was $6200, SL for AMEX was $20k. After 60 days, got my requested CLI from AMEX to $24.9k. Over the last year DISCO has bumped me to $12.5k.
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.