Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover or Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover or Chase?

When I first started coming to this site I had just done my first mini spree. I got a Amex BCP and a DIT. Both not widely accepted for everyday charging around seattle area. I love discover even though it's one of my toy limits, they gave me some auto luv though at my 5th month mark a few weeks ago of about 500 bucks. Not much, I'll take it. I've gotten tons of cash back. But FRDM is more widely accepted, had a cool 200 bucks line my pockets on the first 500 i spent. With FRDM you can transfer, trade, or combine points with a CSP to get deals or cash back. 

I would say, get both. 

Message 21 of 35
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

I have both myself, but I find I prefer and use my Discover far more than Freedom.  But thats just a personal preference.

I think both are great cards though and you can't go wrong with either.

Still, I think (at least for me) Chase has been a bit more generous with limits.

Message 22 of 35
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover IT,  Chase Slate and Chase Freedom.  I am not interested in Slate.  I don't have the need for it.  So If you had a choice between Discover ITand Chase Freedom  - which would you choose and why?

Doesn't matter what I or anyone else would.  You need to determine your needs/wants and then use that to select a card instead of selecting cards and then attempting to justify them.  FWIW, I've had all 3 and currenty have both the it and the Freedom because I find them useful.

Give us more info on what you're specifically looking for and we can make recommendations relevant to you.

@Anonymous wrote:

If I am not mistaken, these are both entry cards but are they considered prime cards?  I don't want another $1k limit that I spend 3 years trying to get CLI's. 

It's your credit and income that will determine the limits that you qualify for -- not the cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am really trying to understand how people decide on what cards they choose. 

Look at your spend.  Where does most of your money go?  Look for cards that maximize rewards on that spend.  It doesn't make much sense to worry overy spend categories where you have little to no spend.

Are you looking for anything aside from rewards?

Message 23 of 35
yfan
Valued Contributor

I have Discover It, and I had the Freedom for a fleeting second. I prefer Discover for a few reasons:

• I prefer cashback (by a mile, no pun intended) over points. As I have said before, while accumulating points may be tempting, you have to make sure that it is for you. By using points, you also often miss out on cash discounts on airfare and hotel stays. Cash is cash is cash, and it's he same everywhere.
  • Chase has a "Sexy and I Know It" attitude I don't like. Chase is a premium lender, they know it, and they act like they know it. I have found their limits to be rather restrictive, at least compared to Discover. Both Chase and Discover have good customer service, but I find Discover's people more friendly and unassuming.
  • I love putting relatively big ticket merchandise on my Discover and not worry about finding "sale" prices as Discover refunds the difference if the price should drop within 90 days of my purchase.
  • Discover advertises and works seamlessly with Google Wallet, including for rewards. Now, you can use a Freedom on Google Wallet too, and you probably will get your bonus rewards, but there is no gurantee. Yeah I know, Chase is an Apple Pay partner, but my preference for Google over Apple (and Android over iOS), while entirely personal, gives Discover an edge for me.
Message 24 of 35
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After feeling Cap 1 love, I decided to check some pre-qualifiers tonight.  To my surprise, I am actually having offers pop up.  This time last week, nothing!  I have tried to search but not exactly finding the info I am looking for.

Discover IT,  Chase Slate and Chase Freedom.  I am not interested in Slate.  I don't have the need for it.  So If you had a choice between Discover ITand Chase Freedom  - which would you choose and why?

For those who have either one, what was your starting limit? How many HP's and who do they pull?

If I am not mistaken, these are both entry cards but are they considered prime cards?  I don't want another $1k limit that I spend 3 years trying to get CLI's.

D I S C O V E R 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 25 of 35
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom over Discover IT anyday. 

Message 26 of 35
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

I have Discover It, and I had the Freedom for a fleeting second. I prefer Discover for a few reasons:

• I prefer cashback (by a mile, no pun intended) over points. As I have said before, while accumulating points may be tempting, you have to make sure that it is for you. By using points, you also often miss out on cash discounts on airfare and hotel stays. Cash is cash is cash, and it's he same everywhere.
  • Chase has a "Sexy and I Know It" attitude I don't like. Chase is a premium lender, they know it, and they act like they know it. I have found their limits to be rather restrictive, at least compared to Discover. Both Chase and Discover have good customer service, but I find Discover's people more friendly and unassuming.
  • I love putting relatively big ticket merchandise on my Discover and not worry about finding "sale" prices as Discover refunds the difference if the price should drop within 90 days of my purchase.
  • Discover advertises and works seamlessly with Google Wallet, including for rewards. Now, you can use a Freedom on Google Wallet too, and you probably will get your bonus rewards, but there is no gurantee. Yeah I know, Chase is an Apple Pay partner, but my preference for Google over Apple (and Android over iOS), while entirely personal, gives Discover an edge for me.

i don't know what you mean you can convert points to cash at 1:1 so i don't think its an draw back for freedom. Its not like MR points where its 1:.5 value. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 35
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

i don't know what you mean you can convert points to cash at 1:1 so i don't think its an draw back for freedom. Its not like MR points where its 1:.5 value. 

Right, UR's instant and on demand conversion to cash at full value makes them more valuable then MRs, TYs, and to many, even SPG points.  Given UR Points mininum 1:1 cash redemption, there is a natural hedge against travel partners devaluation, which MR, SPGs, and TY all lack.

Message 28 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think yfan was making a more general statement that he prefers cashback vs points. Yes, in the Freedom/Discover case, the Freedom points are cashed out at full value, so it's the same thing, But you do have to careful with points cards because the value can be very murky at times and it will depend on what you redeem for. That wouldn't shock most users here, as we are credit people, but to the average consumer points can be more misleading. Take PNC's points card for example. Earn 4 points per 1 dollar sounds great -- til you realize what the points are actually worth!

Also, points can always be devalued. UR points are 1:1 with cash, but others aren't, so you risk losing value with travel if they decide to nerf the points. But technically cash back amounts can be nerfed too.

Cashback is just easier. Cash is cash is cash, like he said. No "redeeming for x to get y value", it's just cash!

Message 29 of 35
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think yfan was making a more general statement that he prefers cashback vs points. Yes, in the Freedom/Discover case, the Freedom points are cashed out at full value, so it's the same thing, But you do have to careful with points cards because the value can be very murky at times and it will depend on what you redeem for. That wouldn't shock most users here, as we are credit people, but to the average consumer points can be more misleading. Take PNC's points card for example. Earn 4 points per 1 dollar sounds great -- til you realize what the points are actually worth!

Also, points can always be devalued. UR points are 1:1 with cash, but others aren't, so you risk losing value with travel if they decide to nerf the points. But technically cash back amounts can be nerfed too.

Cashback is just easier. Cash is cash is cash, like he said. No "redeeming for x to get y value", it's just cash!

All true, but UR Points is cash, is cash, and always will be...er...cash.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.