Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover or Chase?

tag
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover or Chase?

OP - Go for 3, Discover and Chase CSP and Freedom.

I have all 3.   Scores were at +/- 10 pts of 700.  CSP, instant online $15k, Freedom instant online $6k (app'd back to back for the Chase cards), Discover instant $1875.  Discover is a year older than my Chase cards.

I think Discover gives small starting CL's.

Message 31 of 35
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Why not both cards? Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Freedom also has the 90 day price protection, not just Discover.
Message 33 of 35
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

I have Discover It, and I had the Freedom for a fleeting second. I prefer Discover for a few reasons:

• I prefer cashback (by a mile, no pun intended) over points. As I have said before, while accumulating points may be tempting, you have to make sure that it is for you. By using points, you also often miss out on cash discounts on airfare and hotel stays. Cash is cash is cash, and it's he same everywhere.
  • Chase has a "Sexy and I Know It" attitude I don't like. Chase is a premium lender, they know it, and they act like they know it. I have found their limits to be rather restrictive, at least compared to Discover. Both Chase and Discover have good customer service, but I find Discover's people more friendly and unassuming.
  • I love putting relatively big ticket merchandise on my Discover and not worry about finding "sale" prices as Discover refunds the difference if the price should drop within 90 days of my purchase.
  • Discover advertises and works seamlessly with Google Wallet, including for rewards. Now, you can use a Freedom on Google Wallet too, and you probably will get your bonus rewards, but there is no gurantee. Yeah I know, Chase is an Apple Pay partner, but my preference for Google over Apple (and Android over iOS), while entirely personal, gives Discover an edge for me.

Well stated.  Glad I'm choosing Discover first.  Freedom at a later date will be a transition for me.

Signature needs updating
Message 34 of 35
yfan
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

i don't know what you mean you can convert points to cash at 1:1 so i don't think its an draw back for freedom. Its not like MR points where its 1:.5 value. 

You sure could, but as many have pointed out here, that would be using using UR points - which Freedom points become if you have got an UR earning card - at less than optimal value. Considering the Freedom in a vacuum vs. Discover in a vacuum, the points vs. cash argument would be moot since they are both cashback cards. The point I am making (again, no pun intended) is having the possibility of using UR points instead can send people chasing after the points - which for some works great, but for me, not so much. Chase as an umbrella term for cards is more about points, Discover is solely about cash.

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.