Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pending charges

tag
CUFINANCE
Valued Member

Discover pending charges

Just opened a Discover More account this month and have a question.  Is it common for charges to post to the account before the pending charges are removed?  I had a purchase post to my account last Friday, however the pending charge is still reducing in my available credit.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Re: Discover pending charges

I think I know what you mean. I wouldn't worry about it. The available credit column isn't always 100% correct.Sometimes a merchant makes a preauthorization charge and then finally charges the actual amount. Then, it could happen that two pending charges remain for a while, one will eventually post while the other one disappears after a couple of days. As long as you're away from your overall limit, I wouldn't worry.

Message 2 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

Is this charge in the hospitality industry? (Hotel, Restaurant)

Message 3 of 19
CUFINANCE
Valued Member

No it was actually a preauthorization from an ATM that I received cash from. Transaction posted, but pending amount still factored into my available credit.
Message 4 of 19
dp321
Regular Contributor

I think there is a missed understanding here. Any amount posted will be subtracted from your available credit. In your case, you should see a decrease on both your credit limit and your cash advance limit.

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 19
CUFINANCE
Valued Member

So far my experience with Discover has not been that great.  The transaction posted to my account on 6/23 while the pending charge is still being reduced from my available credit.  After calling them for the 4th time they said that it can take up to 10 days for a pending transaction to fall off depending on the merchant.  I've never had an experience like this with any of my other credit cards.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too am a new Discover member. I find the online account services very disappointing. The fact you can't view pending transactions/ authorizations is VERY inconvenient. I have also noticed payments take much longer (to post) than any other CC/bank I've ever used.

Message 7 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I too am a new Discover member. I find the online account services very disappointing. The fact you can't view pending transactions/ authorizations is VERY inconvenient. I have also noticed payments take much longer (to post) than any other CC/bank I've ever used.

One of many reasons Discover sits along Citi in the sockdrawer.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 8 of 19
hemi961
Regular Contributor

The pending charges issue is not dealt with very well by Discover.  Sometimes they will remain on your account for a couple of weeks after the transaction posts.  It wouldn't be quite so bad except that you can't even see what they are, so you don't know what your true balance is. This is an issue when you purchase fuel 2 or 3 times, they authorize the card for $75 each time and that doesn't match the fuel purchase price, then they leave it on for 2 weeks. You can't deduct your receipts from your credit limit and equal the available balance because of the holds they haven't released yet.  It wouldn't be as bad if you could look and see what those are but you can't.  Hard to catch fraudulent charges early when the numbers never match up.  I've called them numerous times and had them remove the pending charges, which they will do if it is past time for them to remain, but they should do a better job of it on their own.

Message 9 of 19
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Cash advance from a Discover.  You are my hero.  I would never take a cash advance from my prime (although Discover is at the bottom of my "prime" list) cards.  Thats why I abuse my CU cards with things like that, they don't care!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.