cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover: possible to make payments after Payment due date?

tag
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Discover: possible to make payments after Payment due date?

I want to make payment to my discover card after the payment due date (have already made a payment before due date), but before the statement is due to show 0 balance. Is it possible? Online, it doesn't allow me to schedule payment after the due date? Can I do it from discover's side, or do I need to push from bank's account? (would prefer from discover side). And will the statement cut with the 0 balance if I make a payment before then?

The reps were confusing and wanted to clarify here as well.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover: possible to make payments after Payment due date?

No idea off the top of my head as I usually only make one payment.  You can certainly always push a payment.

@go_FICO_self wrote:

I want to make payment to my discover card after the payment due date (have already made a payment before due date), but before the statement is due to show 0 balance.

This question doesn't make sense anyway.  The statement balance is due on the due date.  You're wanting to pay off the current balance prior to the statement date.

@go_FICO_self wrote:

And will the statement cut with the 0 balance if I make a payment before then?

Whatever the current balance is on statement date is what will be reported.  If the payment clears in time to reduce the balance to 0 then a 0 will be reported.  This applies to any creditor that reports on statement date -- not just Discover.

Are you immediately applying for credit or something?  If not, even if you don't make it you can adjust the revolving utilzation on the next cycle though if you're not then why are you worrying over this?

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your account new?

I'm 99% sure it has let me do this, but that was several years ago, so things may have changed (or my memory is wrong).

That said, if having the 0 balance on your credit report is important to you, you can always ask Discover to report off cycle. They will happily do this.

Message 3 of 18
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

No idea off the top of my head as I usually only make one payment.  You can certainly always push a payment.

@go_FICO_self wrote:

I want to make payment to my discover card after the payment due date (have already made a payment before due date), but before the statement is due to show 0 balance.

This question doesn't make sense anyway.  The statement balance is due on the due date.  Are you saying that you want to pay before the statement date?

let me clarify. previous month statement is 100. I made $100 payment before the due date.

during the billing cycle I made $50 purchase. now, I want to pay for that $50 as well, so the statement is cut as having $0 balance.

the question is:

a) can I make that $50 payment after the payment due date? Right now I'm still within the due date, and it only gives dates up to the due dates, but nothing beyond that.

b) if I make the payment by the statement cut date, will it post that day, and the statement is cut with $0 balance? or the payment might be delayed after the statement is cut?

Message 4 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I have made payments using discover website after the due date but before the statement date and had the card report 0. In my experience discover is good about posting payments on the date they are scheduled for (pay attention to the cut off times for your time zone)
Message 5 of 18
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
I have made payments using discover website after the due date but before the statement date and had the card report 0. In my experience discover is good about posting payments on the date they are scheduled for (pay attention to the cut off times for your time zone)

thanks! that's what I wanted to hear. Smiley Happy

just curious what happens after the "payment due date" for the available dates? Is it same day only or the days magically become available? right now, every day after the payment due date is greyed out.

Message 6 of 18
Curious0ne
New Contributor

The charge has to post first and then you can make the payment for it. If it's a pending charge then it won't let you.
Message 7 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm I just checked my discover account and the days between due and statement are greyed out, maybe they have changed it (was over a year ago when I last felt the need for discover to report 0)
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have already made the payment long before the due date and make an additional payment a day after the due date, it may or may not make the cut. discover really slams down the hammer and generates an email the very next day after the due date for me, whereas Chase and Capital One give you lots of wiggle room between due date and statement cutoff.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Per my experience, any payment made up to and including the statement date (up to some reasonable time cut-off during the day) will be reflected on the statement and you will end up with a zero balance.  But the Discover site will not let you make a payment while one is already processing, nor will it allow you to make a payment within x days of a previous payment.  Whenever possible, I try to push payments from another account (preferably my Discover checking because I get 10¢ per bill payment).  That gets around the pending/processing payment issue, but of course it's not same day, so you have to make sure the payment will hit by the statement date.

Just a hint, if instead of paying the entire $50, you pay $48.01, then on cutting the bill Discover will issue you a $1.99 small balance credit, and your statement will still report a $0 balance.  I do this every month on four Discover cards, get $95.52 for free every year.  Plus $4.80 in cashback for scheduling the payments from my Discover checking account. Smiley Happy

Chris.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.