Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pre-approval doesn't say which type of card

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Discover pre-approval doesn't say which type of card

I checked the stack of Discover preapproval mails I had and all fo them say preapproved for "a Discover card." Which card would they be referring to? I checked the website and there aren't any plain vanilla Discover cards listed; each card listed as a further subtitle. Would that be Discover More? I only say because that's the picture on the letter but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I tried searching the forum but didn't see people reporting something similar (although I did see old threads that mentioned specific cards in preapproval mails). I haven't checked the site for preapprovals. Has anybody used that feature?

Also, if I use the preapproval number, does that mean I would be applying only for the specific card on that preapproval (which it doesn't say which one it is).

Would appreciate anyone sharing their experience in a similar situation. Thanks!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover pre-approval doesn't say which type of card

@Mailak wrote:

I checked the stack of Discover preapproval mails I had and all fo them say preapproved for "a Discover card." Which card would they be referring to? I checked the website and there aren't any plain vanilla Discover cards listed; each card listed as a further subtitle. Would that be Discover More? I only say because that's the picture on the letter but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I tried searching the forum but didn't see people reporting something similar (although I did see old threads that mentioned specific cards in preapproval mails). I haven't checked the site for preapprovals. Has anybody used that feature?

Also, if I use the preapproval number, does that mean I would be applying only for the specific card on that preapproval (which it doesn't say which one it is).

Would appreciate anyone sharing their experience in a similar situation. Thanks!

I mentioned checking the site even though I never got a pre-approval, it showed nothing for me, but I applied anyway through that partner offer and got the 6.5k Discover More.  Most of the letters that go out are for that card from what I remember reading. 

You might be able to check the code included with the letter online or via phone as well.  Entering the number doesn't submit your application until after you've filled the info out and agree to terms.  You might be better off just calling.  As I've said, they're easy to talk to.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 12
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

I've spoke to them about this about a month ago before I applied.

They said they only pre approvals they send out are for the Discover More.

FYI, Discover's rewards program are interchangeable. If you get approved for a More, you can switch to the Open Road program or Motiva etc.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I checke the website for preapprovals.I get

Recommended:
Discover More (Purchase APR 9.99% to 18.99%)

Also lists:
Escape by Discover
Miles by Discover
Discover More (higher rate here: 10.9% to 19.99% APR)

Are these other ones better/worse?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

I've spoke to them about this about a month ago before I applied.

They said they only pre approvals they send out are for the Discover More.

FYI, Discover's rewards program are interchangeable. If you get approved for a More, you can switch to the Open Road program or Motiva etc.

Ahh, I thought it was More but for no apparent reason, ha. Thanks!

Message 5 of 12
Climbing_Out
Established Member

The 'offer' I rec'd in the mail last week appears to be the same as you described.  I app'd on-line and rec'd the card in the mail today.  It was/is a Discover More.

Message 6 of 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Did somebody just attack the website when I was trying to apply? Smiley Mad
On twitter:

Hi mailak. I'm going to check about some of those links you posted to see if they are allright. Social media is changing so fast and myFICO is trying to keep up with the security and privacy issues that go along with that. If all of the links clear I'll be happy to put them back for you. I hope you can understand what this was done and it's nothing personal against you at all.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator
Message 7 of 12
Climbing_Out
Established Member

Something happened.  The DC site has been 'down' for a couple of hours now.

Message 8 of 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@Climbing_Out wrote:

Something happened.  The DC site has been 'down' for a couple of hours now.

Then I was on the phone with them and it got disconnected.

Message 9 of 12
Climbing_Out
Established Member

Sounds like a major meltdown in progress.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.