Reply
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,408
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: Discover pre-qualified, need advice


distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

They're sending me 3 a week now it's driving me nuts lol, i should frame one since they were the first pre-approvals since I got my credit fixed lol, but if you were pre-approved then probably they would let you in I would think, usually pre-approvals has to go through their internal systems, could be wrong but only takes 1 hp to find out. I don't understand why people think Hardpulls are the devil, only affects you very small amount for a year, and many internal systems don't count it after 6 months or so. As long as your not going on a app-o-rama should affect anyone too much. Unless you were in a borderline with a huge purchase coming up then that's a huge NO.  (say your at 722 and your planning on a mortgage soon)


but considering he's only looking at one card it shouldn't be that big a factor, since he didn't note he would be in the market for a house or a car soon it really shouldn't matter at all. of course there are cases where people should watch out for any types of credit dings, but if you set your priorities and per case scenario this seems more than fine to take a chance at a ding in credit score. His credit score is on the border pretty much but as long as no huge purchases are in the pending future it should reflect nothing really bad =)


I was referring to this statement.^^^^  I have a plus 760 FICO and find myself unable to app for the card I want because of inqs.  The US Bank Cash + card is what I want but because of the inqs on my EX CRA, I'm having to wait, thus the idea that aping strategically for your goal cards instead of what you can take.  It's surmised that US Bank uses a lessor know CRA to track annual credit pulls to determine eligibility for this card.  even with my score, inqs matter.  Being that OP is now in the 700 range, it's more about really not wasting inqs to get the cards and score you want.  As FICOs go up, inqs cost more.  


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Discover pre-qualified, need advice


improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

They're sending me 3 a week now it's driving me nuts lol, i should frame one since they were the first pre-approvals since I got my credit fixed lol, but if you were pre-approved then probably they would let you in I would think, usually pre-approvals has to go through their internal systems, could be wrong but only takes 1 hp to find out. I don't understand why people think Hardpulls are the devil, only affects you very small amount for a year, and many internal systems don't count it after 6 months or so. As long as your not going on a app-o-rama should affect anyone too much. Unless you were in a borderline with a huge purchase coming up then that's a huge NO.  (say your at 722 and your planning on a mortgage soon)


but considering he's only looking at one card it shouldn't be that big a factor, since he didn't note he would be in the market for a house or a car soon it really shouldn't matter at all. of course there are cases where people should watch out for any types of credit dings, but if you set your priorities and per case scenario this seems more than fine to take a chance at a ding in credit score. His credit score is on the border pretty much but as long as no huge purchases are in the pending future it should reflect nothing really bad =)


I was referring to this statement.^^^^  I have a plus 760 FICO and find myself unable to app for the card I want because of inqs.  The US Bank Cash + card is what I want but because of the inqs on my EX CRA, I'm having to wait, thus the idea that aping strategically for your goal cards instead of what you can take.  It's surmised that US Bank uses a lessor know CRA to track annual credit pulls to determine eligibility for this card.  even with my score, inqs matter.  Being that OP is now in the 700 range, it's more about really not wasting inqs to get the cards and score you want.  As FICOs go up, inqs cost more.  


US bank is hit or miss, some people get accepted with 11 inquiries on their reports, but yea you should've applied for Cash+ first on your last app spree, I should've as well, i'm still waiting for my pending status figured I didn't have much to lose, and it'll give me 6 months to dispute with the company they use to factor in some info for approvals. i forgot their name.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,408
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: Discover pre-qualified, need advice

[ Edited ]

distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

They're sending me 3 a week now it's driving me nuts lol, i should frame one since they were the first pre-approvals since I got my credit fixed lol, but if you were pre-approved then probably they would let you in I would think, usually pre-approvals has to go through their internal systems, could be wrong but only takes 1 hp to find out. I don't understand why people think Hardpulls are the devil, only affects you very small amount for a year, and many internal systems don't count it after 6 months or so. As long as your not going on a app-o-rama should affect anyone too much. Unless you were in a borderline with a huge purchase coming up then that's a huge NO.  (say your at 722 and your planning on a mortgage soon)


but considering he's only looking at one card it shouldn't be that big a factor, since he didn't note he would be in the market for a house or a car soon it really shouldn't matter at all. of course there are cases where people should watch out for any types of credit dings, but if you set your priorities and per case scenario this seems more than fine to take a chance at a ding in credit score. His credit score is on the border pretty much but as long as no huge purchases are in the pending future it should reflect nothing really bad =)


I was referring to this statement.^^^^  I have a plus 760 FICO and find myself unable to app for the card I want because of inqs.  The US Bank Cash + card is what I want but because of the inqs on my EX CRA, I'm having to wait, thus the idea that aping strategically for your goal cards instead of what you can take.  It's surmised that US Bank uses a lessor know CRA to track annual credit pulls to determine eligibility for this card.  even with my score, inqs matter.  Being that OP is now in the 700 range, it's more about really not wasting inqs to get the cards and score you want.  As FICOs go up, inqs cost more.  


US bank is hit or miss, some people get accepted with 11 inquiries on their reports, but yea you should've applied for Cash+ first on your last app spree, I should've as well, i'm still waiting for my pending status figured I didn't have much to lose, and it'll give me 6 months to dispute with the company they use to factor in some info for approvals. i forgot their name.


LOL- I'm watching your thread.  If you get the approval for Cash+, I'm aping too. Smiley Happy

 

OP- sorry for the thread high jack!  I don't think you will incur a HP if you app and are BlackListed.  JMHO!  Good luck!


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Discover pre-qualified, need advice

lol i hope I get in that would be fantastic already calculated I'd save atleast 100 a month just on bill pay alone LOL, 2 businesses family car insurance 3 homes =)


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Highlighted
Established Contributor
Posts: 643
Registered: ‎09-18-2011
0

Re: Discover pre-qualified, need advice

[ Edited ]

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

distantarray wrote:

They're sending me 3 a week now it's driving me nuts lol, i should frame one since they were the first pre-approvals since I got my credit fixed lol, but if you were pre-approved then probably they would let you in I would think, usually pre-approvals has to go through their internal systems, could be wrong but only takes 1 hp to find out. I don't understand why people think Hardpulls are the devil, only affects you very small amount for a year, and many internal systems don't count it after 6 months or so. As long as your not going on a app-o-rama should affect anyone too much. Unless you were in a borderline with a huge purchase coming up then that's a huge NO.  (say your at 722 and your planning on a mortgage soon)


but considering he's only looking at one card it shouldn't be that big a factor, since he didn't note he would be in the market for a house or a car soon it really shouldn't matter at all. of course there are cases where people should watch out for any types of credit dings, but if you set your priorities and per case scenario this seems more than fine to take a chance at a ding in credit score. His credit score is on the border pretty much but as long as no huge purchases are in the pending future it should reflect nothing really bad =)


I was referring to this statement.^^^^  I have a plus 760 FICO and find myself unable to app for the card I want because of inqs.  The US Bank Cash + card is what I want but because of the inqs on my EX CRA, I'm having to wait, thus the idea that aping strategically for your goal cards instead of what you can take.  It's surmised that US Bank uses a lessor know CRA to track annual credit pulls to determine eligibility for this card.  even with my score, inqs matter.  Being that OP is now in the 700 range, it's more about really not wasting inqs to get the cards and score you want.  As FICOs go up, inqs cost more.  


US bank is hit or miss, some people get accepted with 11 inquiries on their reports, but yea you should've applied for Cash+ first on your last app spree, I should've as well, i'm still waiting for my pending status figured I didn't have much to lose, and it'll give me 6 months to dispute with the company they use to factor in some info for approvals. i forgot their name.


LOL- I'm watching your thread.  If you get the approval for Cash+, I'm aping too. Smiley Happy

 

OP- sorry for the thread high jack!  I don't think you will incur a HP if you app and are BlackListed.  JMHO!  Good luck!


 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

 

Just to add a few details, my scores in the signature were at the end of October. Since then, I have applied and got approved for a car loan. Also, got a CLI from BOA from $500 to $3000. So, thats 2 HPs. 

I also got upgraded from USBank rewards card to USBank Cash Plus and a CLI from ($1000 to $5000). They said, they will not HP for this one since I have been banking with them for a while and also because of my good payment history with them.

 

I have a feeling that my credit score probably took a hit because of the new loan and the couple of HPs (atleast temporarily). I am thinking of waiting until mid next month and pull my credit score again and see how my overall credit picture looks like.

 

Right now, I am thinking of not applying for Discover(even though it is tempting). As "improvingmycredit" suggested, I want to apply for something that I would want in the long term!

 

 

 


Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.