Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pulled all 3 CBs

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Discover pulled all 3 CBs

Just pulled a free EX report from Quizzle and wanted to update information I'd given before.

When I apped Discover in October, I reported that they pulled both EQ and TU. I was initially declined online, but had a successful recon call. I see now on my EX report that they pulled EX when I called and asked for recon a couple of weeks later.

So...they pulled all 3 CBs. I thought that might be useful info for those considering Discover. I did have an issue with a HELOC being considered revolving by Discover, so they had questions on that. That is likely why there were all these pulls. At least I got the dang card in the end.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover pulled all 3 CBs

I noticed the same too. I applied on Nov 21, 09 but declined and they pulled TU. I called in for Recon and still got declined and two days later my credit report show a new inquiries from Equifax...What the hell is up with Discover? the reasons they declined my apps was the inquiries, I have 8 inquiries on TU and 16 on Equifax...Screw you Discover
Message 2 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

One of the moderators had a second pull when he app'd Discover due to EX stubbornly reporting an incorrect address.

Discover seems to be very careful about clearing up any discrepancies on reports, so it might be worth one's while to take a magnifying glass to one's reports before apping.

eta: and on recon, they will pull a different report. Since they didn't like what they saw on the first report, it makes sense that they might try to find something more positive on a different report.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-25-2009 04:28 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
eta: and on recon, they will pull a different report. Since they didn't like what they saw on the first report, it makes sense that they might try to find something more positive on a different report.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-25-2009 04:28 PM

At least they're not Bank of America.  Before I became hip to credit freezing, I had called Bank of America last October to find out whether an application had been approved or declined.....................  and the CSR pulled another credit report without telling me.  Wow.  All I wanted to know was the status of the application.

I then spoke to a CSR who seemed puzzled and told me that that shouldn't have been the case, and got their supevisor; the 2nd CSR's supervisor said the 2nd CSR was wrong and that the 1st CSR was only doing their job to pull a 2nd report; the 2nd supervisor would not request the 2nd credit report inquiry removed nor send me a letter regarding the situation. 

As for recon using another report, in Discover's case,................... do they *really* have to?   If there's a problem with the first report, wouldn't it be better to discuss that problem with the applicant, then ask for permission to pull another report instead of doing it willy nilly?  (Remember, I'm the woman who had a Discover rep pull two Transunion reports within the same phone call -- and it was not the only report unfrozen).

For those who work in banks:  do CSRs/underwriters have access to the information on the first report? or is that information only accessible to the mainframe, and the CSR/underwriter only gets  the reason why the mainframe said 'denied' or 'more information needed'?

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for discover more. I knew already that in my state they usually pull EX, in my case EX was the worst ( 13 inq ) I had to freeze it with EQ so that they can pull TU ( only 2 inq ) instead, I applied online and got the 7 days review message...3 days afterwards they called me to unfreeze EX. I politely asked them to pull TU instead, they did, and I was approved. That was a little over 3 months ago may be things have changed since !!

Message 5 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Nonaii wrote:

At least they're not Bank of America.  Before I became hip to credit freezing, I had called Bank of America last October to find out whether an application had been approved or declined.....................  and the CSR pulled another credit report without telling me.  Wow.  All I wanted to know was the status of the application.

I then spoke to a CSR who seemed puzzled and told me that that shouldn't have been the case, and got their supevisor; the 2nd CSR's supervisor said the 2nd CSR was wrong and that the 1st CSR was only doing their job to pull a 2nd report; the 2nd supervisor would not request the 2nd credit report inquiry removed nor send me a letter regarding the situation. 

Yes, your experience is definitely one of the more awful cases of hard inqs gone rogue. Ridiculous that they did that, and ridiculous that they wouldn't back off.

As for recon using another report, in Discover's case,................... do they *really* have to?   If there's a problem with the first report, wouldn't it be better to discuss that problem with the applicant, then ask for permission to pull another report instead of doing it willy nilly?  (Remember, I'm the woman who had a Discover rep pull two Transunion reports within the same phone call -- and it was not the only report unfrozen).

No, of course they don't *really* have to. I suppose that some banks might have a company policy that a recon is asking for credit AGAIN, so they do another hard. Kind of how Chase does a hard for a customer-requested CLI. Smiley Mad But for those who were denied after one report was pulled, and on recon, a different one was pulled, and that one was good enough to approve on, they're generally pretty happy. If I were reconning, though, I would definitely ask first if they plan to pull a second report, or could they just go through the already-pulled one line by line, and see if any problem areas could be resolved.

For those new to this whole issue of applying for CC's, this is why we so anxiously ask each other who pulls what, and what are automatic declines. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 22
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

No, of course they don't *really* have to. I suppose that some banks might have a company policy that a recon is asking for credit AGAIN, so they do another hard. Kind of how Chase does a hard for a customer-requested CLI. Smiley Mad But for those who were denied after one report was pulled, and on recon, a different one was pulled, and that one was good enough to approve on, they're generally pretty happy. If I were reconning, though, I would definitely ask first if they plan to pull a second report, or could they just go through the already-pulled one line by line, and see if any problem areas could be resolved.

For those new to this whole issue of applying for CC's, this is why we so anxiously ask each other who pulls what, and what are automatic declines. Smiley Very Happy

Hauling, I totally agree with the above. I had no idea they were going to pull another report. My reports are so similar that they didn't learn anything new. I would have been really irritated if, in the end, I hadn't gotten the card. My greatest frustration in all of this is that I responded to one of their pre-approval type mailings. All the mailings I get drive me crazy because they are definitely not a sure thing...yet oh so tempting.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't mind Chase's hard inquiries if they weren't so tepid with the CLIs they do approve.  I should have paid more attention to what other people were reporting about Chase's CLIs.    I asked for 'maximum possible' on one card -- and got a $500 increase.  Woohoo.   I could have applied for a brand new card and gotten substantially more than that, to heck with Average Age.   So much for heavy use begatting better limits.   You definitely have to tell Chase specifically what you want, and not be shy about it.

But yeah, you're right.  This is why folks ask who pulls what, what's considered automatic declines, the whole nine.  It's too bad mileages vary all around on that, though.

Message 8 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

One more reason to have those reports frozen...even if it causes a delay getting approved. 
Message Edited by DI on 11-25-2009 08:15 PM
Message 9 of 22
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:
One more reason to have those reports frozen...even if it causes a delay getting approved. 

DI, 

When you freeze your reports is there a problem when you try to pull your own reports later?

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.