Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover question

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Discover question

Need an opinion. Brother has had a Discover card for about 5 months now, got his first CLI about two weeks ago. He uses it for everything, and pays it off. But I was wondering, he is looking to get another card soon, (Citi DC), and was wondering how long he should wait before doing so. He has student loans on his credit that are up to date, and then the Discover card. Thanks!

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover question

I think once he hits the 6 month mark with Discover he should be good to app for another card. What are his scores like? Any baddies?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I am in the same situation (I want to app for DC), I recommend him to stick with his Discover. I'm assuming he has double cash back with his discover, so I'd build history with discover first until the DCB ends, then app for DC (which is what I'm doing). 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

no need for redundancy
Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:

Need an opinion. Brother has had a Discover card for about 5 months now, got his first CLI about two weeks ago. He uses it for everything, and pays it off. But I was wondering, he is looking to get another card soon, (Citi DC), and was wondering how long he should wait before doing so. He has student loans on his credit that are up to date, and then the Discover card. Thanks!

If he has a Discover card, then he has a good FICO report available directly from there. What score is on that Discover FICO report?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
xgac12x
Established Contributor

I believe its sitting at about a 700 or so. But he apped 5 months ago, not sure if he got the double cash back offer or not

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was 5 months ago, he probably does not have the double cash back promotion. Since he got an IT, he's probably good to app for a DC now, but I would still wait until the six month mark, since it is so close.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

even if he got it 5 months ago he could have still enrolled in double cash promotion until june 30, 2015
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could he have? Yes. But if the brother doesn't troll credit card forums, he probably wouldn't have. After all, it was marketed to new cardholders, not existing ones.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
even if he got it 5 months ago he could have still enrolled in double cash promotion until june 30, 2015

I was told that this promotion ended on June 24th. Can you provide a link for where you received this information. Thanks in advance for your help Terror!!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.