Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover question

tag
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Discover question

Just a question for all the people on here that own Discover credit cards. What is the highest balance you've ever carried on your Discover credit card for a period of time? I've ran up to 6,900 on a 7,000 limit but now that my credit line jumped to 15,500 I'm thinking of transferring all of my debt to it and letting it report 80% utilization next time. It will be 0% and I'll be making 1,000 dollar payments per month. This would make things much more simple for me because I'll have just one card with a balance instead of four. The reason why I ask this is because I'm curious if me having a 12,400 balance on a 15,500 limit will spook them. It's a higher balance but lower utilization percentage than what I've had in the past. My lineup would look like this:

DISCOVER IT MILES-12,400/15,500

AMERICAN EXPRESS BLUE CASH-0/11,000

CITI COSTCO-0/8,500

CARECREDIT-0/15,000

ASHLEY FURNITURE-0/10,000

As of 11/28/2018
8 REPLIES 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Discover question

Not going to spook them one bit... that's what it's for!  Smiley Happy

What scares them is when you do that and make minimum payments... they will be quick to CLD you.

If you are actually going to make 1k payments, you'll be fine. 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

as tcbofade said, you're fine, as long as you keep paying it down every month.
Utilizing BT offers from disco, I have held high balances - about 70-75% of avail limit. Did not have any issues, they actually gave me multiple CLIs during the 12 month promo.
Message 3 of 9
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Not going to spook them one bit... that's what it's for!  Smiley Happy

What scares them is when you do that and make minimum payments... they will be quick to CLD you.

If you are actually going to make 1k payments, you'll be fine. 

Awesome! thank you for your message Smiley Happy

As of 11/28/2018
Message 4 of 9
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
as tcbofade said, you're fine, as long as you keep paying it down every month.
Utilizing BT offers from disco, I have held high balances - about 70-75% of avail limit. Did not have any issues, they actually gave me multiple CLIs during the 12 month promo.

Thank you for that sir. It's pretty funny. A few days ago I processed a balance transfer that left my card at 6,900/7,000 and for 8 months I received no increases. Well after my transfers posted I asked for an increase and that is when they jumped it to 15,500. So 6,900/15,500. Crazy stuff but I will be making 1,000 payments per month and be out of debt by next May!

As of 11/28/2018
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting! ill try this trick soon. I havent got increase in the past 5 months because i try and keep the balance under 25% of my limit and use little evey month. and got the letter saying "not enough insuffience experiences bla bla"

Message 6 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover wont usually give you problems if you make a good sized payment per month... you dont want to be making minimums with this kinda balance... .. if you can keep to the 1000$ per month payment schedule you should be fine... and i wouldnt be surprised if there is a CLI somewhere in all this... ESP if they are the card with the highest util.... 

Good luck

-J

Message 7 of 9
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting! ill try this trick soon. I havent got increase in the past 5 months because i try and keep the balance under 25% of my limit and use little evey month. and got the letter saying "not enough insuffience experiences bla bla"

Yeah I got that message for 8 straight months lol it’s really hard to say what makes Discover tick. 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 8 of 9
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Discover wont usually give you problems if you make a good sized payment per month... you dont want to be making minimums with this kinda balance... .. if you can keep to the 1000$ per month payment schedule you should be fine... and i wouldnt be surprised if there is a CLI somewhere in all this... ESP if they are the card with the highest util.... 

Good luck

-J

Okay thanks! Hopefully I get some CLIs out of this that would be sweet but I will only have a balance on this card and will make big sized payments of 1,000 per month. 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.