cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover "It" card...worth applying for?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Discover "It" card...worth applying for?

My wife received an offer for the Discover It card, 0% APR for 14 months. I see they have 5% cash back in selected categories that change each quarter and 1% cash back on all other purchases any time, plus you can use your reards to shop at Amazon.com.

Seems pretty good, what do you guys think? Do you like it? Dislike it? 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover "It" card...worth applying for?

I love my Discover IT card.  100% US based support, 1%-5% depending on the season (starting July 1st it's gas!), I use their "Shop Discover" portal which allows 5% back on popular shopping stuff (including Best Buy and Target).

It's got great reviews from just about all websites and one of my favorite cards.  You just can't beat the cash back.  I'd say go for it.

Message 2 of 25
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

My wife received an offer for the Discover It card, 0% APR for 14 months. I see they have 5% cash back in selected categories that change each quarter and 1% cash back on all other purchases any time, plus you can use your reards to shop at Amazon.com.

So far, I like it. I have yet to experience the auto-cli or CLI process because I just opened in March. Other than that, it's a solid no fee card. Discover now is widely accepted. If you go to Sam's club, they wont take VISA CC, but take discover. People said that they take visa debit, true, but it's the debit they are taking not the visa.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 25
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I love my Discover card. It's probably my favorite CC. And Shop Discover allows you to get up 20% cash back on some offers. I did that for my mom's flowers for Mother's Day and I got like $10 back in cash.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 25
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I love the card.  It was the first card that got me out of toy limit sub-prime cards and afforded me a way to never do Capital One or Barclay's again.  I went from having $1800 in credit cards to a whopping $10k initial limit with Discover alone.  I guess someone was asleep at the wheel that day.  It came in handy too as we just bought our first home and needed stuff for it.  On top of that, it was cashback on categories that I actually use and get the $1500 they match.  They even auto-CLI'd me $1k and my total Discover limit is now $11k.  On the 1 year anniversay, I'm asking them to bring me to an even $15k.  

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 5 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I like mine but it didn't get much usage this last quarter ( home improvement) . Cust Service has been good and they are really friendly.
Message 6 of 25
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I like mine but it didn't get much usage this last quarter ( home improvement) . Cust Service has been good and they are really friendly.

+1. The only thing that helped was that June was 2% up to $500.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 7 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 25
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

I love mine also.  With the 5% back for gas coming up next month, guess which card I'll be using. Smiley Tongue  And like everyone else said, their CSR's are top notch (well, the ones that I've had contact with anyway).

Message 9 of 25
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

In one word....YES!  "IT" is worth applying for.  For the reasons you cited..and MORE!  (pun intended)

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.