Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover "Pre approval" site

tag
jk26978
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover "Pre approval" site

Does this mean preapproval - or is this yet another of Discovers site changes?  I know that it doesn't mean that I will get approved, not even sure if I should even try for this one, honestly I would prefer a Walmart card b/c that is really the only store in our area and we have to shop it weekly.  The monthly score would be a super nice bonus as well.  It does only show the "Open Road" card for me though...

Also - if they really mean preapproved - then that makes me feel like I am at least making some sort of progress.  Although had to use the BB card last night but will have it pif before the due date so not too worried about that and it is under 9% of credit

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 11 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@jk26978 wrote:

Does this mean preapproval - or is this yet another of Discovers site changes?  I know that it doesn't mean that I will get approved, not even sure if I should even try for this one, honestly I would prefer a Walmart card b/c that is really the only store in our area and we have to shop it weekly.  The monthly score would be a super nice bonus as well.  It does only show the "Open Road" card for me though...

Also - if they really mean preapproved - then that makes me feel like I am at least making some sort of progress.  Although had to use the BB card last night but will have it pif before the due date so not too worried about that and it is under 9% of credit

Thanks

K

If it looked like this, then it is not a pre-approval, it's just what they recommend based on the answers to the previous questions (I.E, "I am a student, I plan to PIF") 

discover.png

However, if it says "Congratulations, you have been pre-approved for...(card name here)" then you have been pre-approved. 

Message 12 of 19
jk26978
Regular Contributor

no - it said what i copy/pasted on my message - that was from their website...and...it is only displaying the Open Road card

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750

http:
Message 13 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@jk26978 wrote:

Thanks

K

I'm beginning to wonder what is going on with the site. I've been assuming that these were not preappovals, but when I tried it on myself, I got this at the bottom of the list of offers:

**As determined by your credit worthiness.

1 Subject to review of your financial information.

PRESCREEN & OPT-OUT NOTICE: This "prescreened" offer of credit is based on information in your credit report indicating that you meet certain criteria. This offer is not guaranteed if you do not meet our criteria. If you do not want to receive prescreened offers of credit from this and other companies, call the consumer reporting agencies toll-free, (888) 567-8688; visit www.optoutprescreen.com; or write:

TransUnion Name Removal
PO Box 505, Woodlyn, PA 19094-0505

Equifax Options
PO Box 740123, Atlanta, GA 30374-0123

Experian Opt-Out
PO Box 919 Allen, TX 75013

SEE PRE-SCREEN & OPT-OUT NOTICE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PRE-SCREENED OFFERS.

Then, just to see what would happen, I did a fictional inquiry, using my dog's name for the first name and my last name, and 9999 for the last four of the SS#. It listed two cards, but no pre-screen message. So, I wonder what gives???

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 19
jk26978
Regular Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@jk26978 wrote:

Thanks

K

I'm beginning to wonder what is going on with the site. I've been assuming that these were not preappovals, but when I tried it on myself, I got this at the bottom of the list of offers:

PRESCREEN & OPT-OUT NOTICE: This "prescreened" offer of credit is based on information in your credit report indicating that you meet certain criteria. This offer is not guaranteed if you do not meet our criteria. If you do not want to receive prescreened offers of credit from this and other companies, call the consumer reporting agencies toll-free, (888) 567-8688; visit www.optoutprescreen.com; or write:

TransUnion Name Removal

Equifax Options

Experian Opt-Out

Then, just to see what would happen, I did a fictional inquiry, using my dog's name for the first name and my last name, and 9999 for the last for of the SS#. It listed two cards, but no pre-screen message. So, I wonder what gives???

this is what it showed my yesterday - I then tried my sons info - which I know his credit is good so far, moms help, but it only showed the standard "Recommended Offers" then click for more options button like normal.

http:
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me yesterday. I've been  trying to get the More card (BK in 08, been declined every time even w scores in 700's), checked the preapproval site and got the same screen w the opt-out message on the bottom. Nice. Never got that before. Interesting thing was when I clicked apply for the More and went thru the app it went to process it and then it said this offer is no longer available please call.

So, I just went back to the regular site and applied thru the regular link. I was instantly approved for 5k. In checking, they pulled a soft ( for the preapproval I'm guessing) and a hard on EQ for the app.

Message 16 of 19
jk26978
Regular Contributor

That is great for you - actually excited for you - that may be enough to satisfy my itchy finger - just to hear that someone else was able to get approved - great limit too!!!

K Smiley Very Happy

http:
Message 17 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@tinuviel wrote:

@jk26978 wrote:

Thanks

K

TransUnion Name Removal

Equifax Options

Experian Opt-Out

Then, just to see what would happen, I did a fictional inquiry, using my dog's name for the first name and my last name, and 9999 for the last four of the SS#. It listed two cards, but no pre-screen message. So, I wonder what gives???

Yesterday I received a pre-approval offer from Discover in the mail, so now I'm ready to believe that, if you see the pre-screened message at the bottom, it is a pre-approval. I do wish that Discover would make it more explicit, with a "Congratulations!" message at the top. They'll probably change it again at some point.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 18 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you click on the "Card builder" button it will tell you if you've been pre-approved or not. If you haven't it will say "Sorry we could not find an offer for you" or something similar. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.