Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover "Switch Now"

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover "Switch Now"

Discover was the one who started out giving cash as a reward for using their card. Before discover; no one gave rewards... they all also charged an annual fee. The fact that discover had no annual fee and gave rewards set it apart. Discover used to be owned by sears....
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 21 of 32
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Discover was the one who started out giving cash as a reward for using their card. Before discover; no one gave rewards... they all also charged an annual fee. The fact that discover had no annual fee and gave rewards set it apart. Discover used to be owned by sears....

He is absolutely right.  For those of us that have been around long enough to remember, they were the first on the market promoting cash back before it was ever heard of.  The problem is that they are (esp. in the last 5 years) becoming outdated as their competitors have surpassed them in the rewards department.  They do have excellent customer service though, and that counts for something in this day and age.  I am sure they will begin to take note of this fact and respond appropriately with some new and more competitive products or rewards programs.

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 22 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Ha! I'm a girl! I remember my mom having the.original discover card back in the 80s. She closed it at some point when they wouldn't lower her APR (she has been known to carry a balance or two)

I got my discover more in 1999 while in college.... I think it started out as a student card but who knows; it was so long ago.

I researched the history of discover a while back... its all on wiki
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 32
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

I just logged into my Discover account to check if I got a "Switch Now" option, but I got an error message when I logged in:

We're Sorry
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for the inconvenience.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 24 of 32
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hhaahaha@webhopper!!!

I have noticed in my aplroximate two weeks w Discover that I always get an American rep...always!!!!!!!! I love that!!!

Btw, even with Motiva I get 2% cashback on Oct 26th; I may pay my cell bill early!!! Lollzzz!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 25 of 32
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

My former English teacher told me her ex hubby started Discover and she has one of the first Disc cards ever made, literally. Bet it didn't take a 700 fico back in the day to get a disc! Lolll
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I apped this evening, the CSR asked why I wanted a discover card..y first answer was "because I can understand you!'l Smiley Happy I'm hoping their customer service is always as good as everyone says.

Message 27 of 32
FrugalRican
Blogger

Haven't seen this yet on my card.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 28 of 32
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

I love discover. They always have awesome customer service when I call, they are reasonable with thier CLI's, and they offer great balance transfer promos. I have the discover more card, and I would love to switch to the motiva. I hope they offer it to me.

In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 29 of 32
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I got a switch now mailer on Monday to change to the Miles card. The offer is 10K "miles" after $1500 through 02/28/2013. Don't think I'll change my card unless they force me to. Besides, travel cards I have are the Delta Gold, US Bank FlexPerks Select secondary being the Platinum and JPM Select. I don't need another annual fee to pay!

Edit: just noticed the Miles has no AF but the Escape does.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.