Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover reported without statement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover reported without statement?

I just received an alert on myfico that my new discover it card has posted a balance to the bureaus. I'm really mad as it posted 1800/4000, but never closed the statement or sent anything. Discover says my first statement closing will be Dec 24th, What gives? Do they usually do this? I know utilization doesn't have memory, and I don't plan to app for anything in the near future, but I should be getting a credit increase in Dec from another company, and now my utilization will look much higher than I was planning when the other company does a check before their cli. Now I'm worried I'll get less of an increase while showing more debt then planned.

Is this normal for them to post without a statement closing?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover reported without statement?

Is this a new card?  Did you use it immediately after activating it?  If the answer is yes, then Discover can report a new account to your report at anytime.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just seemed odd. Of every credit card, loan, anything I've ever had over 15 years, I've never had a company post without getting a statement first, the statement period closing, or some kind of notice to pay, mainly because it was a new account, they state online it won't close the period until end of Dec. Just makes me mad knowing I'm going to make a large payment next week and they posted to the bureaus now.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover did it for me, and my new Amazon card did it 2 days after opening.  Discover reported with a balance, Amazon didn't.  It's not a rare thing. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH's new Discover posted to his CRs a few days after it was activated with a balance, too.
Message 5 of 9
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear, Barclaycard also have a history of doing this. My Hawaiian Airlines card was reported about 1 week after I received the card. I had a $15 charged for overnight delivery of the card that was reported. That's the quickest I've seen, while Amex, Chase, Cap1 takes 1-2 months to report. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only the first time. All the other ones will be reports after the statement.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad's new discover card I'm an au on did that, too.  Reported 2 days before the first statement then when the statement posted, they reported again.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me, good that it was only around $60 balance at that time, i called then right away and all they did was apologized to me Smiley Mad 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.