Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover's credibility in question

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Discover's credibility in question

I am nearly midway with Discover and want to proceed cautiously after a spree stretching from August to December.

FWIW, Discover pulled a pair of soft's recently which yielded denials to no surprise. They been quite insistent however that they could likely approve via a HP but i declined.

During this call i took the liberty to take them to task today expressing disappointment in that they seemed fit to change the initial mail offer of 0% 14 month and instead when the card arrived it was a direct 24.99 miserable Apr WITHOUT 0% period at all in complete contradiction to what i was offered in the mail preapproval and accepted by phone in. Yes, even with invitation number well before the deadline.
Her appeasement was to offer to reduce the Apr by a fraction? Not even a single whole point reduction which i also declined. She admonished that it has no annual fee. (woopee)
I like to carry balances occasionally by design to establish a firm 90 day trend then back to PIF routine, but that's another subject.
Why do they dangle these sort of carrots only to pull the strings and instead throw a bone. In this case the immediate 24.99! Hell the mail offer was between 15.99-18.99 after the supposed 0% intro.

I told them i know it's way too late to do anything about it now. I travel in my occupation so when i called to accept the initial offer before it expired, i really expected to receive those exact intro terms clearly printed on my offer and went off to work as usual. I only recently discovered the change when i let a balance roll over.

I was polite but expressed firm disappointment in this shady change in offer and explained that it's no big deal now since i have other Prime lenders that have already offered much better apr and terms and were true to their intro offers unlike what Discover did.

SD'd indefinitely.

Why does a lender like Discover have to pull these type of stunts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover's credibility in question

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
I am nearly midway with Discover and want to proceed cautiously after a spree stretching from August to December.

FWIW, Discover pulled a pair of soft's recently which yielded denials to no surprise. They been quite insistent however that they could likely approve via a HP but i declined.

During this call i took the liberty to take them to task today expressing disappointment in that they seemed fit to change the initial mail offer of 0% 14 month and instead when the card arrived it was a direct 24.99 miserable Apr WITHOUT 0% period at all in complete contradiction to what i was offered in the mail preapproval and accepted by phone in. Yes, even with invitation number well before the deadline.
Her appeasement was to offer to reduce the Apr by a fraction? Not even a single whole point reduction which i also declined. She admonished that it has no annual fee. (woopee)
I like to carry balances occasionally by design to establish a firm 90 day trend then back to PIF routine, but that's another subject.
Why do they dangle these sort of carrots only to pull the strings and instead throw a bone. In this case the immediate 24.99! Hell the mail offer was between 15.99-18.99 after the supposed 0% intro.

I told them i know it's way too late to do anything about it now. I travel in my occupation so when i called to accept the initial offer before it expired, i really expected to receive those exact intro terms clearly printed on my offer and went off to work as usual. I only recently discovered the change when i let a balance roll over.

I was polite but expressed firm disappointment in this shady change in offer and explained that it's no big deal now since i have other Prime lenders that have already offered much better apr and terms and were true to their intro offers unlike what Discover did.

SD'd indefinitely.

In the T&C: The terms of your account, including rates and fees, are subject to change, to the extent permitted by law.

Yes it is a blanket statement that can cover essentially a hundred different things.......

Anyhow, you didn't qualify for the 0% promo for some reason, which is why they didn't give it to you. For what reason specifically, I don't know. Call them. Maybe something have changed in your profile (new accounts, new balances, new inquiries, derogs, or whatever...........) from when they last SP'ed you vs. the time you applied. Sometimes the SPs are done weeks before you even receive the mailer (slow interns..........). This is why you should try to make sure your credit profile is in its absolute best shape before you app. 

Discover did get into some legal issues, though I am not sure about the exact details.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks.
It's not much of an issue anymore now that it's done, but back in August when i was approved i wish i hadn't glossed over the preapproval as though it was set in stone. Obviously not.

My only, and i do mean single only possible deterrent is young (revolving) credit history. Currently around 2 yrs + now. AAoA is months due to last years super spree.

No derogs period such as the usual we read about with BK's, Late's or such. Income 75000.

It just rubs me the wrong way that they are the single only lender who pulled that stunt.

Message 3 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
Thanks.
It's not much of an issue anymore now that it's done, but back in August when i was approved i wish i hadn't glossed over the preapproval as though it was set in stone. Obviously not.

My only, and i do mean single only possible deterrent is young (revolving) credit history. Currently around 2 yrs + now. AAoA is months due to last years super spree.

No derogs period such as the usual we read about with BK's, Late's or such. Income 75000.

It just rubs me the wrong way that they are the single only lender who pulled that stunt.

Some other lenders will do similar stunts, not usually not something as drastic as this. Citi and US Bank comes to mind.

I do agree this is borderline shady and can be very disappointing for the customer, especially if they applied solely for the 0% promo. But with a stupid blanket statement in that T&C it essentially becomes a "we told you nothing is guaranteed" situation.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 8
Weights
Regular Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

SD'd indefinitely.

So sorry this happened to you.  I think this is pretty rotten for Discover to do as well.  The only thing I can suggest is try contacting their executive offices and tell them what you told us.  If they still refused to assist me after that, I'd prob SD the sucker as well.

Message 5 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks for your support.

I do feel stiffed by them over this and never expected something like this from a Discover. I have the proof in black n white form and everytime.i look at it now it makes me sick. I thought they were above such practices but apparently not.

FWIW, I'll make a couple of attempts at something with them after the weekend. Maybe talk this over with their EO reps. Look i'm not asking for the world from them, not even expecting any CLI for a year, just a reasonable explanation, one i can accept that doesn't leave me bitter in my gut about them.
Message 6 of 8
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Discover should have sent you a letter and credit score explaining why you did not receive the best rate/terms for the card you applied for.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 7 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Just like Undertakers, uh i meant to say UnderWriters Smiley Happy i study trends that show patterns and the like. Maybe it's coincidence, but got a new preapproval in the mail today from our heralded Amex impersonator, First Premier chalked full of the usual amenities, 175.00 AF - 36% APR accrued at first purchase- attractive starting limit of 700.

Yep, that one is a keeper for sure. NOT!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.