Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover sams membership

tag
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Discover sams membership

Just got a Sams club by me and wanted to know if it made sense to get the discover version over the regular membership
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover sams membership

The Sam's club discover membership looked very tempting to me the last time I was at Sam's. Unfortunately only you can decide if the new tradeline will be worth it in the long run. The normal discover more card is accepted at Sam's which is why I didn't.see the point in me applying. One benefit of the Sam's club discover is that you get a free tu fico every month. Not sure if this interests you at all.@
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 10
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I thought only the walmart got the tu fico and not the Sams?

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jordanmedical wrote:

I thought only the walmart got the tu fico and not the Sams?

I thought it was both... In that case, It may make sense for the OP to get the Walmart Discover instead. I think both of them earn the same rewards when shopping at Sams Club.  I still think that the regular Discover Card is a better choice for the OP, but the TU score may make it worthwhile, it depends on how often the OP wants a score update.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

I guess the main thing was that I don't have any membership and wanted to know if getting the sams discover was going to be better than regular sams membership

Message 5 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Unless it has any other benefits you're probably better off with the regular membership and a regular credit card Smiley Tongue or if you want the free fico tu08 the walmart card (I don't think the sam's gets the free TU score. )

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@s_rob7488 wrote:
Just got a Sams club by me and wanted to know if it made sense to get the discover version over the regular membership

This comes down to if you have a better rewards program on a MasterCard or if you are using Debit and getting points that way....

I believe if you applying for Sams Discover, just like with Walmart, if they don't approve for the Discover they will consider you for just store which I don't think gets rewards but does get 0% offers.

I like Sams Card better then Walmart, What I have seen is they give WAY higher CL's and CLI's

Message 7 of 10
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

ACCOUNT BENEFITS
A personal credit account for all your Sam's Club purchases:

Zero fraud liability - protected with your photo
In-Club cash access up to $60
Special financing promotions
One-card Convenience - your Membership card is your credit card
A personal credit account that rewards you with cash back:

All the Benefits of Advantage
   Credit plus...
Earn up to 2% cash back*
Use everywhere Discover is accepted Use everywhere Discover is accepted
In-Club cash access up to $100

Regular vs Discover

*No mention of TU Score like Walmart Card

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 10
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

If you need a new card, I would definitey recommend the regular Discover More. Now that their 5% categories are $1500 (you also get up to 1% on all other purchases), it's a way better deal than the "up to 2%" on the Sam's Discover.

Message 9 of 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

I have the Sam's Discover and at this point you don't get a free Fico TU score..One thing to me though is that they are better with CLI (since it's a GE card, not a true Discover) than a regular Discover..My CL on my Sams Discover is $10,000 where as my regular Discover well that's another story..LOL

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.