Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secretly hard pulled me.... :/

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover secretly hard pulled me.... :/

A couple weeks ago during the time of the ceasing of the 17 day CLI, I too was among those that were denied a CLI that last time. So I tried again on the 18th day because we were still trying to figure it out. Same thing - we can't do it now, we'll send you a letter in the mail....

Well..... My MyFico alert just told me they double pulled me that 18th day! Both EQ and EX! I wasn't given the option to cancel the request before a HP.

It said the usual, "We may need to HP you..." but before when requesting CLIs,  it would go to another screen to confirm you agree to a HP, which you could then not do if you didn't want to.

Those buggars! 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
axlm
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover secretly hard pulled me.... :/

I guess that means they are serious when they say the party is over! Sorry you find out the 'hard' way...

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 2 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

Ouch WTH

Sorry skinmatters that surely sucks 

I would also call and see if you can have them removed for not asking although they do have permissible permission they can fall back on but worth a shot on your end.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 33
mssher
New Contributor

Wow!  That's awful.  I'm curious as to why it took 10 days for you to receive the alert?? I hope they are somehow back-reporting HP inquiries, if that's even possible??

USAA AmEx 17,000 | USAA Visa 14,500 | BOA Visa 10,000 | BOA World MC 10,000 | Fifth Third 9,000 | Discover IT 13,500 | Barclay Apple Rewards 6,440 | AMEX BCE 6,000 | Citi DC 6,3000 | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig 5,000 | PenFed Visa Sig 5,000 | Alliant Visa 5,000 | Citi Sears 5,000 | State Farm Visa Sig 5,000 | CapOne QS 5,250 | Firestone 2,200 | Kohls 2,000 |
FICO 8: EX 782 - EQ 794 - TU 796 *** Goal: Decrease Number of Cards to 12 + store cards ***
Message 4 of 33
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A couple weeks ago during the time of the ceasing of the 17 day CLI, I too was among those that were denied a CLI that last time. So I tried again on the 18th day because we were still trying to figure it out. Same thing - we can't do it now, we'll send you a letter in the mail....

Well..... My MyFico alert just told me they double pulled me that 18th day! Both EQ and EX! I wasn't given the option to cancel the request before a HP.

It said the usual, "We may need to HP you..." but before when requesting CLIs,  it would go to another screen to confirm you agree to a HP, which you could then not do if you didn't want to.

Those buggars! 

Wow that sucks are they even allowed to do that?  W/o permission I mean...

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Those buggars! 

If you got to the screen that had your phone number and said they may need to HP you, and then clicked submit you agreed to the hard pull. That's the way it has always been. Clicking cancel would have avoided the HP.

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the CLI screen (just checked) it still says, "After reviewing your application, we may need to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score. In these cases, we will proceed with the application only with your consent."

But the next screen was the, "sorry we can't do it right now".  No "Can we pull you?"

Message 7 of 33
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Always assume they will HP you if given the chance, discover or any other Leander/utility company, and your life will be easier. If they don't that's a plus.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, discover is one of the few that generally clearly lets you know whether they are going to SP or HP you....

Message 9 of 33
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Those buggars! 

Wow that sucks are they even allowed to do that?  W/o permission I mean...

Technically they have a permissible purpose because OP was looking for credit extention, so by OP looking for a CLI gave them permission. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.