Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secured card!!!! Offer

tag
UglyCredit

Re: Discover secured card!!!! Offer

Received my card today, money withdrawn from account on March 1st

Gardening till 5/2015 Last App 4/29/14
Cap1 Secured 750/250 unsecured, Credit1 400, JessicaLondon 300 Discover IT Secured 200 Fingerhut-fresh start program 180

Discover TU 594 Credit1 EX 566 Quizzle EQ 549-8/28/14
Message 71 of 86
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

Well I failed my second recon (Insufficient Credit History) but did gather some more data points.

I asked to be forwarded to underwriting and they said:

1. They don't do recon (do they say that to everyone? they seem really hardline on this)

2. Secured card graduates with 12 months of good payments.

I feel more inclined to take the secured card because not only did they INQ my EQ but for some reason they INQed my EX for kicks too and told me I have today to accept their secured card Smiley Sad

Has anyone had them do double INQ?

Next:
Message 72 of 86
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I applied for the Discover It for Students and got declined but got the secured offer. Deposit was taken out of my bank account on March 17th. Waiting for the card now...I'm excited!

Message 73 of 86
Established Member

Just signed up for the discover card today. I was told two crucial points that you guys may be interested in:

1. The card does graduate to an unsecured and you will receive your deposit back

2. They report to all 3 credit bureaus

Additionally, all my other cards, including barclays would not allow me to do a CLI even though all the cards are $500 credit limit. I would constantly max out the card one day and pay in full the next, multiple times a month before the due date, and this was still not enough for them to raise my limit. I was given a really stupid reason by a Barclays backdoor associate that all my credit card limits are roughly the same and therefore they will not increase. I think this is because I am a student and so I told them all to go **** temselves and went ahead and got a $2,000 credit limit with a secured Discover Card today. I'm not going to wait another six months to find out if I can get my credit limit increased when I have the means to do it myself today.

EQ: 685 TU: TBD
EX: TBD
Goal:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 74 of 86
drboxing
Established Contributor

A friend of mines applied for the discover card, was  denied but then offered their sucured Card. Had no idea discover offered a secured card.

Message 75 of 86
Hereandnow
New Visitor

I am rebuilding credit.  I have a student loan 24 months on time and a car loan 24 months on time.  I also have the Fingerhut Account and Walmart credit card.  I applied for a Discover yesterday and was told a would need a coapplicant.  So, today I called Discover and asked about their secured card.  The person said that is offerred to a very few people when they are declined and that it couldn't be requested or applied for on your own.  I wish I could.  I would love to put 1000 on that and get decent rewards and no annual fee.

Message 76 of 86
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

@AgentofGaming wrote:

Well I failed my second recon (Insufficient Credit History) but did gather some more data points.

I asked to be forwarded to underwriting and they said:

1. They don't do recon (do they say that to everyone? they seem really hardline on this)

2. Secured card graduates with 12 months of good payments.

I feel more inclined to take the secured card because not only did they INQ my EQ but for some reason they INQed my EX for kicks too and told me I have today to accept their secured card Smiley Sad

Has anyone had them do double INQ?

Yes. They double pulled me when I applied back in April. But mine is a unsecured Discover It. 

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 77 of 86
CreditJunkie37404
New Visitor

First off, I have heard that Discover is a VERY conservative lender, and I would have to agree. I have probably applied 5 plus times.   I have been reading the posts and I originally applied for the Unsecured Discover IT card and was denied with no offer for the secured card, I have heard that it was easier to get Student Credit cards and I am currently in a 4 year college so I decided to try to apply for the Discover IT for students, and received a you will be notified in 5-7 days so I called the 800 number they provided and spoke with a agent in Utah, who verified my information and told me that she would need to send me to Senior Credit Analyst.  The senior credit analyst told me that they could not approve me for the normal Unsecured account, but would like to offer me a secured card application which I had to reply to within 5 days.  She advised me that initial deposit would determine the credit line, and that this account was eligible to be converted to a unsecured account with good payment history and the account would be reviewed peridiocally and if account was converted the deposit would be refunded.  The secured card offer is not available to just anyone, they have to offer it to you.  I have decent credit already, after filing bankruptcy two years ago.  I already have a Walmart Discover that is issued by GECRB and has a 6K credit limit, a Walmart Store Credit Card with a 5K limit, I also have a Barclay Apple Financing Visa with a 4K llimit, a Barclay Carnival Cruise Mastercard with a 4K limit and a Paypal Extras Mastercard with a 3K limit.  My car loan is 2.9% through Toyota Financial Services.  Even with all the good credit I already have I was not approved for a Unsecured card, so I would have to agree that Discover is very difficult to get a card with, so if you are offered an option at all for secured card I would take it.  I took the secured offer and am awaiting my card, but I took it to get my foot in the door with Discover.  

The terms and conditions that I have previously seen are identical to what I was given as well.  Hope this helps!!

Message 78 of 86
LadyVee
Regular Contributor

Welcome to the Discover family!

Starting Score: 485 (CK TU)
Current Score: 698 (TU FICO); 685 (EX FICO) 687 (EQ FICO)
Goal Scores: 750 (TU FICO); 750 (EX FICO); 750 (EQ FICO)

Current Cards:
AMEX Gold: NPSL, AMEX BCE: 1000, BARCLAY APPLE: 2000, CITI DC: 2250, CHASE CSP: 7400, CAP1 SAVOR: 12000, CAP1 VENTURE: 10000, CAP1 QS: 6500, CAP1 QS1: 3300,
DISC IT: 1400, MERRICK: 2200, PAYPAL CREDIT: 3000,
US BANK CASH+: 5000, WALMART: 5000, TARGET MC: 4000, ANN TAYLOR: 6000, VS: 6000, EXPRESS: 5000, NY&CO: 4000, SMILE GEN: 1500
Message 79 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the Discover site to check if I had a pre-approved offer and sure enough I did.  So I said what the heck, applied DENIED!!!!  Well after a day or so I called back in to see if I could change my app to the student card.  The CSR rep told me sure but they pull through TU so here we go.  I was put on hold for the senior rep and offered the secure card as well.  I figured no since in waiting a year to reapply so put $500 down and I will be watching the mail.  I'm also rebuilding and figured since I took the hit for the HP the new account would show up and not look like a denial.  I have learned so much from the group and many thanks to all the wonderful information here.

Message 80 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.