cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover sent me a gift! (And it's not a CC)

tag
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

Discover sent me a gift! (And it's not a CC)

So after collecting my mail today, I opened an envelope from Illinois to find a Discover It themed card from (you guessed it) Discover. 

The left side of the card reads: "We're so glad to have you as a cardmember."
Attached on the opposite side is a Starbucks gift card, and when removed, the back side reads "Enjoy a $5 treat on us. #discoverjoy" Awesome!

Personally, I think this is rad. I know it's not a huge deal, but I'll take it considering I'm a level 10 caffeine addict. Also, I find it hilarious considering Chase Freedom has a 5% bonus on Starbucks purchases this quarter. LOL Take THAT Chase! Smiley Tongue

Has anyone else received phat lootz from Discover, or any other CCC for that matter? Any stories out there?

(For the record, the back of the card says "Starbucks is not a sponsor of this program.") 

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover sent me a gift! (And it's not a CC)

They don't give me Starbucks...Smiley Sad

Sock drawer time.....Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Nope...but that is normal...I never get anything from Discover ..I am on their hate list..Smiley Sad ...But a friend of mine gets all the promos (3 x in 2013) , 2 auto CLIs and worst of all she does not even use the card Smiley Happy ...I am really amused and would love to understand their "algorithm" for promos and CLIs..... all I can say it is really interesting. Also the CLs are a real mystery to me.  I will not SD my card but have drastically changed spending on it for 2014. I use it now for the  5% categories only and skip everyday charges...basically take best for me and not give anything to Discover anymore...LOL

Message 3 of 24
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Nope...but that is normal...I never get anything from Discover ..I am on their hate list..Smiley Sad ...But a friend of mine gets all the promos (3 x in 2013) , 2 auto CLIs and worst of all she does not even use the card Smiley Happy ...I am really amused and would love to understand their "algorithm" for promos and CLIs..... all I can say it is really interesting. Also the CLs are a real mystery to me.  I will not SD my card but have drastically changed spending on it for 2014. I use it now for the  5% categories only and skip everyday charges...basically take best for me and not give anything to Discover anymore...LOL

Possibly an attempt to "inspire" customers to refer their friends to such a "great" card. Don't get me wrong, I use them for their 5%, but beyond that, I have better options.

Message 4 of 24
Libra85
Regular Contributor

There is another thread about this free gift card. Something about they will charge you $2.50 per month for 12 month if you use/active the card.

October 2021
Message 5 of 24
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Libra85 wrote:
There is another thread about this free gift card. Something about they will charge you $2.50 per month for 12 month if you use/active the card.

It's after 12 mos. not for 12 mos.  Many gift cards (usually rebates) have a similar inactivity fee burried in the fine print.  They ar not the same as the cards you purchase to give as gifts.

Message 6 of 24
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I also get occasional gifts from Discover and I also think its a great thing for them to do. Sure it's just a small thing, but it goes along with Discover's overall great customer service. I've never gotten a Starbucks card, but then there's no Starbucks near me and Discover seems to know that. I have gotten a $5 general purpose gift card which I used at my local espresso joint and one year I got 2% cashback for the entire month of my birthday.

I also get most, though not all, of their occasional special cashback offers (like 2% for all spending this month). Love Discover!

Message 7 of 24
Lilsnukems
Valued Member

I got this $5 gift card and was SUPER excited about it. Discover is one of my oldest cards, and I've had it for 10+ years so it was nice to recieve this treat in the mail.

TU FICO: 744 (updated 1/2014) , VantageScore: 760 (updated 7/19/13)
51.5K Total limit with 12.36% utilization, Income 44K
BOA Better Balance Rewards: 10K, CapOne: 5K, BOA Cash Rewards: 10K, Discover It: 8.2K, 1FBUSA: 8.3K, AMEX BCP: 10K
Goals: 800+ FICO score, minimum 10K credit limit on all cards
Message 8 of 24
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

I am not even sure I would recognize a lootz if I saw one, but if I see a gift card in the mail from them, I will update.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 9 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I want coffee so friggin' bad right now!!!!!!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.