cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover shutdown my Money Messenger.....

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Discover shutdown my Money Messenger.....

So the other day I went to try and use money messenger to send more money to my friend and i got the following:

We're Sorry.

Your account is not eligible to use this service at this time. Money Messenger is a new feature that we are making available to more customers all the time. If you have questions about your eligibility, please send us a secure message.

so I called into DIscover and they saw that message in their system too and placed me on hold to find out why, and they did some checking with web team and supervisors and came back and just said thet my account is not eligible that i don't meet the criteria at this time and they would not even tell me why that is or what the criteria is. They said I could try back within 2 to 4 weeks and went as far as suggesting i can add my discover card to my paypal and send money that way which was nice of them to suggest. The rep was very nice. I later called again and asked about something else and then later mentioned about money messenger and the rep did some checking and came back and at first was telling me i exceeded the monthly limit of $500 when i clearly didn't and he then placed me on hold again and came back again and said they my account is just not eligable. Then moments later i called up Web Support and the rep was very nice and awesome too and she was able to tell me that money messenger just disappears and reappears on accounts and said theres no way to flip a switch and override it.

About a week ago i had another problem with money messenger simply not working after a fraud hold was lifted and i called and was told to call back and i called the fraud team and the rep didn't want to help me and cold transfered me to customer service where the rep asked for the full card number which they never do and i had to explain everything all over again and the rep couldn't help me and said "if a fraud alert is placed on the account money messenger will be shut off for 15 days"  so i just sent money to my friend directly form my paypal using paypal smart connect and paid a fee of $3.20 so then i sent off a message to Disocver on their facebook explaining some of this and asking for a $3.20 credit and they replied and gave me the credit and appologized for the issues but did not say if they were going to forward my feedback so i took matters into my own hands and i emailed the executive office and did recieve a call but couldnt answer it and the number they called from had a confusing menu when i called back which i think it was going to either take me to an employee extention system or to regular customer service so i googled and aparerently Discover is bold enough to list their executive office phone number on their website deep in their company information section and so i called it and it went straight to a rep and i said i think you guys called me and game them my name and the rep said the person who tried to reach me was on another call and will call me back and in like an hour the rep called me back and we chatted and he was appologizing and thanked me so much for reaching out to them to let them know i didn't have the best expirence and said he was shocked that i was told about the 15 day hold and said he will work on coaching the reps i spoke to and send a company wide email out explaining what money messenger is and how if works, like a training update of sorts and also he apparently took the time to read the whole thing cuz the last paragraph i said that i don't want this to happen to anyone else, and i said how i work in customer service field and i know that bad expirences are not good, and he thanked me and said he is going to keep working on the case to help make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. We nicely ended the call.

So just when i thought things were fixed last week they got worse this week! Smiley Sad

I really love Discover so much that i'm think i'm just gonna let it go and just use paypal more to send money, before I used Discover without money messenger and things were great so no reason to get totally upset that i lose sleep over it so Discover still rocks! Smiley Very Happy

I even reached out to Paypal's facebook reps and they appologized and said my best option is to contact discover about it and i said i had and i went on about how i got no where with them and that's why i am asking them and i thought the way i wrote the message it sounded like i was angry or venting so i said i was sorry for venting and they got back and said that they are happy to recived my feedback and are not only here to answer questions but are here to listen as well, that was nice of them. Smiley Very Happy

Just thought I would share this with you guys so you know not to go overboard on using money messenger or it will get turned off. I even read in the terms and conditions that they could close the account too but from what i have read it only looks like they will resort to that if i was doing something illegal or otherwise against the rules which i wasn't so I just gonna lay off the money messenger and i hope people don't have to expirence this! Smiley Indifferent

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover shutdown my Money Messenger.....

MM is a nice feature, but no one knows anything about it beyond some basics. I have a $1000 monthly limit but some people have thousands more. I wanted to raise it, just for added flexibility but they said there is no way to do so. And apparently no rep has the power to evaluate your account for an increase. I guess I can't complain because some people have $100 monthly limits.

Message 2 of 4
linux007969
Established Contributor

In my optinon though if they are telling me i'm not eligible and don't bother to tell me why or how to become eligible then they shouldn't offer money messenger to anyone.

At my work, i'm not going to put something out for sale in our store that is broken and give no explination as to why its out on the sales floor, that's just not right and I don't lie to customers either, in certain situations though i have to give an answer without actually answering the question, like for example: i'm certainly not going to tell a customer that i can't do a refund cuz by us being a nonprofit that checks will bounce with someone else and that we won't have enough money to pay our staff, I will simply tell them that If the item is working then we can not do a refund simply because they would like one.

FYI it has recently happened to us at work before, i sold someone a computer and they realized the money was their rent money and wanted a refund and i did actually have to give them a refund cuz we didn't have a policy in place for buyers remorce and again this week i sold someone else a computer and they wanted to return it simply cuz their other computer started working and i was like we usually don't except returns for things like that, and i did place him on hold while i esculated it to our COO and CEO and they agreeded to refund his money and agreeded we have to change our policy.

Long story short i won't lie to a customer and i will make things rigtht one way or another. So now our CEO is in the process on getting the warranty policy changed to prevent it from happening.

I randomly shared that with you guys about my work so it can relate to the situation with how Discover is handling things and what could be going on in businesses these days and i feel safe giving some information out as no one knows where i work and I am not going to share that information on here either but i will say this, I am now currently a Store Manager & Chief Information Technology Officer for a small local non-profit in PA who recycles and refurbs computers.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 3 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

I have a $1000 limit supposedly, and I tried using it a couple times. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. All the charges I tried were below $100. Eventually just gave up on it altogether and handed out cash instead.

This feature seems to be in testing phase or something.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.