Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover sneaky liars

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover sneaky liars

@lucky70 wrote:

I got the advice about utilization from good old suze orman which she does call herself a financial advisor.... Also I have the $6200 in bank and in investments earning me money. I got the transfer from chase slate and didnt have to pay a dime to credit card company. I figured it was money just making me money so to speak. I can pay the balance in full tomorrow if I wanted to. 

Well, if you can't get any BT offers, then you will just have to pay it in full.

Closing some accounts is going to affect your utilization, but going from 4% to 10% isn't going to change anything dramatically. You can always apply for new accounts for new CL that will then bring your utilization down again.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Enharu, don't waste any more time with this one. I think everything that should have been be said, has been said already. People only hear what they want to.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 32
lucky70
New Contributor

Didn't hearanything but I read really well thanks. Lol have a blessed day mr credit scholar and boss man of ending someone else's threads. 

Message 23 of 32
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@lucky70 wrote:

Well have fico scores in 780 range. I applied for discover it 0% apr to transfer a balance where apr is to expire end of may. They declined because I already have 2 discover cards that I use and pay off each month. They said if I closed one I would be approved. I closed one. They then came up with the excuse that I had too much unused credit card limits!!!! **bleep**! I did applyfor American express with instant approval and I already have 2 of those cards. I use to like discover but now think they are sneaky liars. Buyer beware.

They do some crazy things. I also seem to read a lot of posts here where someone is offered 0% for X months but then when they apply, they're told they're  getting 20+ % and no 0% at all....

I realize that they all have the standard statements of "based on credit worthiness" or some such, but it just seems like they bait and switch a lot.

I would try to call and recon or find their EO's email address.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 24 of 32
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

The OP has excellent credit, high CL's, and low utilization....seems to me he knows how to manage his money.  He didn't post so that some of you could lecture him on his finances....   Discover screwed him over and that's what his post is about...so why we goin off topic?  ...Credit Scholar, get off your horse...it's too freakn large for you.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 25 of 32
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Lucky70, I get where you are coming from and hope you take one more stab at resolution with them.  It's amazing the diversity of everyone's credit journey on this forum and for me, even in the midst of your angst, I look forward to being in your shoes one day soon!  Thanks for  sharing, Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 26 of 32
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Wow, it surprises me that you have so much credit and only $2,000 of it was for 1 Discover Card.  If that limit was your average limit that would mean you have about 85 accounts.  That would suck to keep track of every month.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 27 of 32
lucky70
New Contributor

Nope the 2 with low limits are my 2 discover cards ( now down to 1) next to that is 16,000 on 1 all the way to $29,000 the highest. Thanks all advice even the judgmental ones. Smiley Happy 

Message 28 of 32
lucky70
New Contributor

Decided to go with American express I did get approved for. I spoke to several at discover and they say the same hogwash. Too much unused credit lines. Who would thought  restraint and not living beyond your means would mean you got turned down for a credit card. This is first denial ever by the way. 

Message 29 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@lucky70 wrote:

Decided to go with American express I did get approved for. I spoke to several at discover and they say the same hogwash. Too much unused credit lines. Who would thought  restraint and not living beyond your means would mean you got turned down for a credit card. This is first denial ever by the way. 

FWIW, Barclays denied me for the same reason....not utilizing my existing CL's. Oh well, their loss. 

I turned right around and added Merrill+, Fidelity Amex and a BCP. 

Good  for you!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.