Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover stingy with CL...says economy is the reason

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover stingy with CL...says economy is the reason

DH's Discover card, open and immaculate since 1989, has a $14.5K CL; all three FICO's (presumably EX is still up there) in the 800's. Doesn't bother him, so it doesn't bother me, but I don't regard Discover as a potential high-CL card.

Get it for the rewards, I guess, if they work for you. And the card designs! Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
DH's Discover card, open and immaculate since 1989, has a $14.5K CL; all three FICO's (presumably EX is still up there) in the 800's. Doesn't bother him, so it doesn't bother me, but I don't regard Discover as a potential high-CL card.

Get it for the rewards, I guess, if they work for you. And the card designs! Smiley Happy

Gee, I thought $10K+ was a high CL for a CC! Am I just getting to be an old timer?

Anyway, my Discover More was issued at $8.1K and there it sits and that's just fine with me. I will work that gas purchases this quarter. Don't forget the bookstores, too. Last year I was even able to slide a car repair that was done by an excellent mechanic that works out of a gas station near me too. All for 5% cashback - plus the on-line purchases! That and no Tomfoolery! It really is a pretty nice card.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-10-2009 08:47 AM
Message 12 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I almost forgot about the card designs! Quite a collection, and no limit on how many you can have! Of course I originally had the platinum colored More card - that one is pretty basic, except for the orange edge. That makes it very cool. I thought the Clown Fish was cool so I ordered that one and it is nice. Then I saw the tropical palm trees with the azure ocean in the background and that just said it all. That's the one I carry every day.

Message 13 of 17
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

I still have the Discover Motiva.

Very good card, never had a problem.
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 14 of 17
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Gee, I thought $10K+ was a high CL for a CC! Am I just getting to be an old timer?

Anyway, my Discover More was issued at $8.1K and there it sits and that's just fine with me. I will work that gas purchases this quarter. Don't forget the bookstores, too. Last year I was even able to slide a car repair that was done by an excellent mechanic that works out of a gas station near me too. All for 5% cashback - plus the on-line purchases! That and no Tomfoolery! It really is a pretty nice card.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-10-2009 08:47 AM

They didn't give me my last shop discover bonus. Also, a shoe store is apparently not counted as a clothing store.
Message 15 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

athensguy wrote:

They didn't give me my last shop discover bonus. Also, a shoe store is apparently not counted as a clothing store.

When you called for service regarding the missing ShopDiscover premium what happened? I have never had a problem with the program, but there is plenty of room for error. Do they resolve these things well?

As for a shoe store not being a clothing store I suppose that is quite possible. Just like gas paid at the pump is different that gas paid inside the store and WalMart Supercenters or SuperTargets are not grocery stores.

Message 16 of 17
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@athensguy wrote:

When you called for service regarding the missing ShopDiscover premium what happened? I have never had a problem with the program, but there is plenty of room for error. Do they resolve these things well?

As for a shoe store not being a clothing store I suppose that is quite possible. Just like gas paid at the pump is different that gas paid inside the store and WalMart Supercenters or SuperTargets are not grocery stores.

I messaged them twice. The first time they said it was because I didn't have a statement generate in the cycle after I made the purchase, and then after I waited til another statement cut (past 6-8 weeks), they said I had to fax in my receipt and they would take a look at it. I decided against doing that because it's too much hassle for me to long distance fax something for $6 in rewards, and I'll just avoid Shop Discover for now. If a shoe store isn't a clothing store, I'm having a hard time imagining what category it really fits in.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.