Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover vs Citi Price Protection

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Discover vs Citi Price Protection

Hey all,

Some of you might be fellow Samsungers and will be joining me in buying the Note 4 tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has used either program. I am purchasing it off contract at AT&T's higher-than-the-others price, which is why I'm so keen in seeing what I can find out about these programs. I initially was going to use my Dividend, as I guess it does it for you? But Discover is offering the price protection for 90 days, versus the Citi offer of 60 days. 

They're both 5% and both CL's are plenty big enough for this ~$950 purchase, so I'm just looking for feedback between these cards. I did consider AMEX, but I haven't needed the manufacturers warranty before - I'm hoping I don't again.

'

Thanks in advance to your feedback! 

Smiley Happy

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover vs Citi Price Protection

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Hey all,

Some of you might be fellow Samsungers and will be joining me in buying the Note 4 tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has used either program. I am purchasing it off contract at AT&T's higher-than-the-others price, which is why I'm so keen in seeing what I can find out about these programs. I initially was going to use my Dividend, as I guess it does it for you? But Discover is offering the price protection for 90 days, versus the Citi offer of 60 days. 

They're both 5% and both CL's are plenty big enough for this ~$950 purchase, so I'm just looking for feedback between these cards. I did consider AMEX, but I haven't needed the manufacturers warranty before - I'm hoping I don't again.

'

Smiley Happy

AMEX will refund cost to your account if it's broken or stolen, stops working within the first 90 days.

Message 2 of 10
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Hey all,

'

Smiley Happy

AMEX will refund cost to your account if it's broken or stolen, stops working within the first 90 days.

My understanding was that the OP was looking for something like Citi's "price rewind" where you can theoretically get money back if the price decreases within a period.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 3 of 10
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Hey all,

'

Smiley Happy

My understanding was that the OP was looking for something like Citi's "price rewind" where you can theoretically get money back if the price decreases within a period.

Correct Gh17, sorry if I was unclear. I am looking for Citi's "Price Rewind", Discover's "Price Protection", and I think Mastercard in general has a program. And while Discover does offer that protection too, Nixon, if it was a big factor to me I would just use my Amex for the sole reason and they don't tend to bull*hit you 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Hey all,

'

Smiley Happy

Correct Gh17, sorry if I was unclear. I am looking for Citi's "Price Rewind", Discover's "Price Protection", and I think Mastercard in general has a program. And while Discover does offer that protection too, Nixon, if it was a big factor to me I would just use my Amex for the sole reason and they don't tend to bull*hit you 

Yep.

Never had AMEX feed me bull on a product replacement within 90 days.

Message 5 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Amex covers only damaged and stolen items on most of their cards. Lost items are covered only if the purchased is made using the platinum or centurion card.

Amex no longer offers price protection however (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have read several positive reviews about citi price rewind. They make it a simple and stress free process. I have never tried it myself, though citi has sent me emails reminding me of this feature after I made several large amount purchases on citi cards, so that's nice of them I suppose.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 10
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I could vouch for Citi Price Rewind. I used it a couple of times. Once for laptop and once for a TV. If you don't feel like scouring the Internet for the best price just buy it locally. It really doesn't matter where you buy or how much you pay. Just register it and Citi will search the Internet for the lowest price  for you for 60 days (used to be 30 days). If they find a lower price, they will refund the difference in about 2 weeks. Trust me, if you overpaid, Citi will find a lower price. They used to have a $25 minimum price difference but now there is no minimum. I bought the above items at my local Best Buy. I received $40.00 and $249.00 back. You can also track the process online. Very simple and kinda fun.

You may want to check T & C just to be sure.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 7 of 10
yfan
Valued Contributor

I would go with Discover for a couple of reasons:

1. First, as you said, it's a longer period of price protection (90 days vs. 60). The price is more likely to drop after the holidays if Samsung doesn't meet its sale quotas.
  2. With Citi Price Rewind, you have to actually register the purchase and let Citi do the search. So if Citi doesn't find it cheaper, you are SOL. With Discover, you can find the price yourself and file a claim.
Message 8 of 10
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

maRe: Discover vs Citi Price Protection

how many long time lurkers are out there? this is getting confusing!

Message 9 of 10
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: maRe: Discover vs Citi Price Protection

@go_FICO_self wrote:

how many long time lurkers are out there? this is getting confusing!

LOL

I had to double-take. I was staring at the LongtimeLurker in this thread for a few seconds. I thought I was going crazy.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.