Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover will not update your fico if your account is not active

tag
polecat87
New Contributor

Re: Discover will not update your fico if your account is not active

I can confirm this since I haven't had a statement since May... you don't have to have a balance when your statement closes... if you use the card once during the month even if you PIF before the statement closes, you will get a new FICO a few days after the closing date (even with a zero balance).

Message 21 of 28
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

I've spoken to reps at discover about this before. They all mentioned card use is a requirement for a score as it comes on your statement but on top of that they wanted the statement balance posted not to be 0 as well. Haven't had a chance to test this though.
- assuming credit history > 6 months.

Next:
Message 22 of 28
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Mine has not updated since 7/7 and I have had no balance.  Paid off in June.  I know they pull from TU so can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the score on Discover than what is pulled at Barclays?  My Discover stuck since July is at 690 and my Barclays has updated 3 times since then and shows as of yesterday's update a score of 725. 

If there is no difference then I will not start spending on Discover just to get the score.  Discover denied me CLI at 6 mths so I have sock drawered them for now.  Don't know if I will get growth with them. 

I can tell you that I get updates every month from both Discover and Barclays and they are both the same, 718.  I read on one of the sites (I am pretty sure it was Discover's) that the scores may not update every month.  Since June seems odd.  Give them a call and ask.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 23 of 28
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Luscher wrote:
Not only do you have to use your card to get a free fico but you need to use your card for it to report to the CRA's. So say you don't use the card in june, it will not report for june but if you use in in july it will report positive for june and july. So it won't report unless you use it and it will kind of do a backdate of data if that makes sense.

I havent used my Card is August and It is reporting ....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 24 of 28
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@AgentofGaming wrote:
I've spoken to reps at discover about this before. They all mentioned card use is a requirement for a score as it comes on your statement but on top of that they wanted the statement balance posted not to be 0 as well. Haven't had a chance to test this though.
- assuming credit history > 6 months.

Except when I carried a balance on my Discover card because of the 0% APR I never let it post a balance and always got the score ....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 25 of 28
Luscher
Valued Contributor

my statement just cut with a balance of 150 and no fico score. first time this ever happened for me
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 26 of 28
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

After reading all the replies, I feel like it's not really just the use of the card.. their system seems went wrong or something lol

or maybe they are chagning their policy and updating systme or whatever..

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 27 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@polecat87 wrote:

I can confirm this since I haven't had a statement since May... you don't have to have a balance when your statement closes... if you use the card once during the month even if you PIF before the statement closes, you will get a new FICO a few days after the closing date (even with a zero balance).

+1

Could possibly point to a system issue or unless something changed recently in the method or frequency in which their FICO updates.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.